News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

why should you respect others beliefs?

Started by quizlixx, November 11, 2008, 05:33:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

quizlixx

why should i pretend that i respect about other peoples religious beliefs. i know that some people get really offended when i mock their religion, but i don't care, i think it's a f*cking riot that they believe the things they do. my area is almost HALF creationist. i know there is such a thing as "common courtesy", but i really, honestly, don't care. :D
"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is."

curiosityandthecat

Because you want them to respect yours and not beat you to a bloody, atheist pulp.

[/thread]
-Curio

Kyuuketsuki

Quote from: "quizlixx"why should i pretend that i respect about other peoples religious beliefs. i know that some people get really offended when i mock their religion, but i don't care, i think it's a f*cking riot that they believe the things they do. my area is almost HALF creationist. i know there is such a thing as "common courtesy", but i really, honestly, don't care. :D

I can absolutely Identify with you on this ... my official position is that I respect anyone's right to believe what they wish but not the belief itself unless they can justify it in rational terms (that pretty much applies to everything BTW, not just religion ... I don't think many ideologies, pseudo-sciences and other stuff can be rationally justified either). I say "official" because the truth is I don't respect people for holding such views at all, not deep within myself, don't see why I should ... of course when any of these flakes  bring those views into the public domain any pretence at respect ceases.

Quote from: "curiosityandthecat"Because you want them to respect yours and not beat you to a bloody, atheist pulp.

What so fear? Is (and I'm assuming that was not just cynicism) that a good reason?

Kyu
James C. Rocks: UK Tech Portal & Science, Just Science

[size=150]Not Long For This Forum [/size]

Lila

Someone once said that you should respect a man's religion only to the extent that you respect his belief that his children are smart and his wife beautiful. I see no need to run around yelling "Your religion is bs! Become an atheist!". I think everyone has a decision to make for themselves. It is only when a person's beliefs are damaging to those around them that I will speak up, or if they initiate a debate on an internet forum or IRL.

karadan

Quote from: "Lila"Someone once said that you should respect a man's religion only to the extent that you respect his belief that his children are smart and his wife beautiful. I see no need to run around yelling "Your religion is bs! Become an atheist!". I think everyone has a decision to make for themselves. It is only when a person's beliefs are damaging to those around them that I will speak up, or if they initiate a debate on an internet forum or IRL.

Personally, i prefer debate. I do not like confrontation. It makes me go all wobbly. I don't cast my radical views unless asked for (radical to a devout christian etc). I guess it stems from my need to not be purposefully offensive. An example of this would be the two people spreading the word of the gospel on my doorstep last Saturday. I could have debated with them. I could have even shouted at them. Instead i simply said no thank-you and closed the door. Apart from the fact that i was in the middle of a mining session on eve online, i really didn't feel the need to make someone uncomfortable or unhappy.

I don't think it is about respecting someones belief, i feel it is about respecting the need to not make someone uncomfortable or upset. I don't like knowing i've upset someone, no matter what their belief system.
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "Kyuuketsuki"What so fear? Is (and I'm assuming that was not just cynicism) that a good reason?

Kyu

Of course it's not a good reason. It's just a reason. There are other more philosophical, ethics-based reasons (which have been eluded to already), but in daily life where people can get dragged behind a truck just because they put their penises in nontraditional places or happen to have a bit more melanin in their skin, I think the reason is valid.

It's all about strength in numbers: they have it; we don't. I think even the most fledgling atheist has seen with painful clarity what religious folk with numbers on their side, feeding off one another's bigotry and xenophobia, can do when fired up. Never forget that we (that is, atheists) represent everything that is wrong and corrupt in the world to those who use religion as their lens.
-Curio

LARA

You really don't have to respect anyone's beliefs, but you should be smart enough or strong enough to defend yourself against the inevitable shitstorm that follows.  I personally try to adhere to a relatively respectful stance towards other religions in the real world, although I do not just stay silent and make small, subtle protests here and there.  Most likely these protests are ineffective, but maybe not.  Privately, however, I am not going to sit in my home and curb my disgust with these idiots.  Also online, I try to keep the perspective of where I am posting, but I'm much less polite.  In open forums I am more respectful, but not always.  Here I type whatever delicious blasphemy can pour forth from my keyboard and relish in the fact I have a place to do so.  There are times I feel bad about being nasty, I mean religious people do have feelings, too, but it usually only lasts until I drive past a HUGE cross, Judeo-Christian Commandments monument or some offensive fire and brimstone church sign.
Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows.
                                                                                                                    -Winston Smith, protagonist of 1984 by George Orwell

Kyuuketsuki

Quote from: "LARA"Also online, I try to keep the perspective of where I am posting, but I'm much less polite.  In open forums I am more respectful, but not always.  Here I type whatever delicious blasphemy can pour forth from my keyboard and relish in the fact I have a place to do so.

Yes, I admit is is much easier to be colder and harder online.

Quote from: "LARA"There are times I feel bad about being nasty, I mean religious people do have feelings, too, but it usually only lasts until I drive past a HUGE cross, Judeo-Christian Commandments monument or some offensive fire and brimstone church sign.

Like "God Hates Fangs" ...

... oops, that's from my latest fav series  :devil:

Kyu
James C. Rocks: UK Tech Portal & Science, Just Science

[size=150]Not Long For This Forum [/size]

rlrose328

It is getting increasingly difficult to respect others' beliefs.  I try to because I want them to respect mine, but when theirs are being used to make laws that affect me and when it is used in political campaigning and when I'm constantly told I'm evil and am cursed... I have to draw the line.

Behind closed doors, I'm the ugly American.  I hold some pretty black thoughts in my pretty little head.  But they are mine and mine alone, and if I can't voice them to the mirror in the privacy of my own home, when can I?  Holding them all in has given me an ulcer, so I vent when I need to, I just try to do it in private or with the hubby, whose thoughts can be even blacker than my own.  :)
**Kerri**
The Rogue Atheist Scrapbooker
Come visit me on Facebook!

Whitney

I'm only willing to respect another person's beliefs to the point that they respect mine (and aren't causing harm to society/the freedom of others).  If someone start spouting off about how gays are bad and shouldn't marry I'm usually one of the first to start pointing out the flaws in their view.  If they start complaining about prayer being taken out of school I correct them (kids can still pray if they want).  If they say Merry Christmas I don't make a big deal out of it.  I think it is important, both for getting along with others and for my on sanity, to pick my battles wisely.

Asmodean

I will not disrespect your beliefs if those beliefs are not causing me any head aches. I will respect your beliefs if I see something in them worthy of my respect.

Trying to keep it simple  :D
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

DennisK

I believe in order to expect respect, you have to show it.  Whether you respect their beliefs or not, showing a little diplomacy will help in the long run.  One of my best traits is knowing what others should do even though it conflicts with my own actions.  I may be destined for the clergy. :idea:

I know many of you are thinking, "this guy's a genius" or "most of what he says doesn't make sense to me so it must be over my head or avant garde".  That's nice of you to say, thank you, but I really don't want to be labeled.  I would rather assimilate with the masses so as to not be persecuted for my geniusness.
"If you take a highly intelligent person and give them the best possible, elite education, then you will most likely wind up with an academic who is completely impervious to reality." -Halton Arp

Asmodean

Quote from: "DennisK"I would rather assimilate with the masses so as to not be persecuted for my geniusness.
Really?!  :shock: I very much like being the mad scientist type, while being a mainstream type... Well, it sucks. Different people, different tastes, I suppose.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

nikkixsugar

Quote from: "quizlixx"why should i pretend that i respect about other peoples religious beliefs. i know that some people get really offended when i mock their religion, but i don't care, i think it's a f*cking riot that they believe the things they do. my area is almost HALF creationist. i know there is such a thing as "common courtesy", but i really, honestly, don't care. :D

Curious, did you get your name from a stand-up comic. I was watching a special with him in it. I can't think of his name...
Hate to tell you, but.....

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Sophus

If you demand people to respect your beliefs then of course you should respect theirs. Most theists actually do have good intentions believe it or not.
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver