News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Re: you know what's really fun...blasphemy

Started by Asmodean, October 31, 2008, 02:20:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

quizlixx

blasphemy might be my favorite thing about rural rednecks. what is your most blasphemous comment or action?
mine was when i participated in an anti-religion rally. i was 1 of 7
"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is."

curiosityandthecat

My most blasphemous action was probably when I was teaching and I subtly made the case for non-religious folk being smarter than those who "literally" believe. Something along the lines of better educated people being less likely to be religious.

Sounds fairly unimpressive, but I said it to a total of 120 twelve-year-olds throughout the course of the day.

Oh, then I showed them Tim Burton's Sleepy Hollow and three girls puked.

I was an awesome teacher.  :D
-Curio

Asmodean

Blasphemy... Lemme see... I urinated on a cross once or twice... Does that count?  :D
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Whitney

I guess it would be this forum and the dallas meetup group.  I try to be respectful of others, even if they have crazy beliefs, so my blasphemy isn't that interesting as far as humor goes.

Chimera

This is kinda lame, but the Gideons were at my college today handing out their little pocket New Testaments. I went up to one of the tables and put an FSM brochure next to one of the piles.
"I refuse to believe in a god who is the primary cause of conflict in the world, preaches racism, sexism, homophobia, and ignorance, and then sends me to hell if I’m 'bad.'" â€" Mike Fuhrman

rlrose328

I've got a Gideon bible that I plan to make an altered book from... actually, I have 3.  And when we go on the cruise ship, I put them in the safe and lock it.  It's a dangerous book as far as I can tell.   :lol:
**Kerri**
The Rogue Atheist Scrapbooker
Come visit me on Facebook!

Tom62

The only thing that I think of is that I threw my copy of the bible in the garbage bin.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Kyuuketsuki

I've defended Satan (well his reputation at any rate) ... that's gotta be fairly blasphemous I suppose.

According to Wikipedia blasphemy is the disrespectful use of one or more god's names so given that my standard answer to the question, "What are god and Jesus to you?" is, "Convenient swear words" I guess I my be a blasphemer  :devil:

Kyu
James C. Rocks: UK Tech Portal & Science, Just Science

[size=150]Not Long For This Forum [/size]

Ninja Donkey

I once bought a little plastic cross from a vending machine (the ones at grocery stores where everything comes out in a little plastic bubble) and spent the afternoon lighting it on fire and burning
"Don't you know there ain't no devil, it's just god when he's drunk" - Tom Waits

LARA

Ahhh...Blasphemy.  The greatest gift the evangelicals have bequeathed on modern society.  I mean without religion there could be no blasphemy, right?  So, in a way  I must give thanks to all those believers for this great and joy giving gift I have received.

I suppose most of my blasphemous statements are located here in my happy atheist posts, but I can guarantee that blasphemy is in my thoughts on a regular basis.  Sometimes when my politeness fails, it pops out, like the time I told a Catholic friend that my favorite prank would be to tie blow-up dolls on some of the large local crosses.  He actually got offended.  Can you imagine?  My other somewhat blasphemous action was placing a small brass flea market Buddha next to a local Ten Commandments monument.  Not really high on the offense category I suppose, but hopefully to the point.  Maybe when the Church of the FSM gets small marketable statuettes I'll put one of them there, too.  Those FSM tracts sound really enticing, too.

I suppose I would be much, much worse in this category if it weren't for the fact I have a small but loving nuclear family I don't want to humiliate too much.
Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows.
                                                                                                                    -Winston Smith, protagonist of 1984 by George Orwell

Tom62

There is some good news for the blasphemers in the Netherlands. Blasphemy is no longer punishable by Dutch law. The anti-blasphemy law was introduced in 1932 but was barely applied. In 1968 it was used for the last time in the famous case against the author Gerard Reve (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerard_Reve). Reve described in one of his books his love making with God, incarnated in a donkey. In April 1968 he was acquitted by the High Council. The is law now abolished, so I feel free to insult or offend any Christian, Muslim, Buddhist or Hindu and their believes. BTW if you'd like to see a real good movie that was  based on a book of Gerard Reve then checkout http://www.amazon.com/Fourth-Man-Jeroen ... 43&sr=8-16
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

jrosebud

I used to work in a shop that sold cake toppers.  I hung some of the plastic crosses upside down in their little baggies.   :banna:
"Every post you can hitch your faith on
Is a pie in the sky,
Chock full of lies,
A tool we devise
To make sinking stones fly."

~from A Comet Apears by The Shins

Moosader

Hmm.

I used to volunteer for a church doing data entry and filing and... watering pianos... in exchange for free piano lessons.  I don't really know if it's blasphemous, but it sounds kind of hypocritical.  The lessons were mostly playing classical music, no religious songs required. 8D

I've even checked out the church's services and youth groups a few times (though got dragged along to the Billy Graham thing here once >_<).

Besides putting the Bible in the Fiction section of bookstores, I've been a pretty passive Atheist.
Make lunch, not war!

SilviaGTO

I havent done this yet, but intend to. You can buy jesus wafers online. I intend to buy a box and snack on them at work in front of my highly religious co-workers.

quizlixx

Quote from: "SilviaGTO"I havent done this yet, but intend to. You can buy jesus wafers online. I intend to buy a box and snack on them at work in front of my highly religious co-workers.
wait...i have a addition to your idea, dunk them in "holy" milk. :D
"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is."