News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

God wouldn't HAVE to save you if...

Started by rlrose328, October 23, 2008, 05:50:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rlrose328

Okay, so I'm reading People Magazine, one of my favorite rags for breakfast-time reading.  It's the issue with that poor Caylee Anthony on the cover.  And I have a rant to share with you.

Inside are two articles that I was looking forward to reading... DJ AM's story about the plane crash and the excerpt of Maureen McCormick's book.

I was a big Brady Bunch fan... I was 5 when it started and it was a big deal on Friday night to watch that followed by Partridge Family.  :-)  Anyway, I'm reading her story and enjoying it... it's nice to know that her life sucked behind the perfection of the Brady family.  We shared some life experiences, Maureen and I.  Right while she's talking about drug addiction and abortions, she says she was walking down Westwood Blvd with a few friends when

Quote"I was thrown to the ground.  Literally thrown.  The next thing I knew, I was on my knees and my arms were lifted toward the sky.  I saw two hands reaching down.  It was Jesus.  As crazy as it sounds, I knew it was Him.  I burst into tears."

She continues to say that she got clean after finding religion... but was still plagued by demons.  She tried to commit suicide and hated herself.  She had a child and was still horribly depressed.  It wasn't until she started taking Prozac that she pulled it together.  LESSON LEARNED:  God tortures you for a lifetime and then helps you off illegal drugs, but you won't be happy until SCIENCE helps you out with Prozac.

The story of the plane crash was horrifying... the plane crashes, only he and Travis Barker survive, he has 2nd degree burns over his face and arms, painful recovery, etc., and I'm thinking wow, how wonderful that he survived that thanks to advances in burn treatment medicine.  And then this:

Quote"My emotions go back and forth.  At the first hospital, I screamed, "Thank you!"  Then I wondered, Why did I live?  I can't believe I made it.  Any second it can all be gone.  I've prayed every night for the past 10 years.  There's a lot more to thank God for now.  My philosophy is, Live life to the fullest.  I was saved for a reason.  Maybe I'm going to help someone else.  I don't question it. A ll I know is I'm thankful I'm still here."

I'm glad DJ AM survived, honestly I am.  I know nothing of his life or his career, but the fact that he made it through the inferno and lives to tell is miraculous.  And if he goes on to help others, all the better.  But why did God let the plane crash to begin with?

How can these people thank God for saving them when God obviously dropped the ball by letting them down in the first place?  It's like the dysfunctional relationship between a child abuser and his victim.  "You turned me into a mess but you saved me in the end.  Thank you!"  WTF?

I've been through hell... and I pulled myself up by my bootstraps and got on with gettin' on.  No one did it but me.  Of course, the religious folks in my life credit God for my survival and my son and my life.  I'm a mere bystander, I guess.  But I know the hard work it took to get where I am in my life.  And it offends me when people don't give ME the credit I deserve for not dying 20 years ago.  God gave me a sucky life... and *I* turned it around, no thanks to him.
**Kerri**
The Rogue Atheist Scrapbooker
Come visit me on Facebook!

Will

It's self-importance rooted in deep insecurity that's at the core of the "god is a personal friend of mine" attitude. It's difficult for some people to come to terms with the reality of existence.

I'm reminded of that part from the movie Signs, when Juaqin Phoenix's character was explaining why he believed in a higher power:
QuoteOne time, I was at this party... and I was sitting on the couch with Amanda McKinney. She was just sitting there, looking beautiful. So, I lean in to kiss her, and I realize I have gum in my mouth. So, I turn to spit it out and put it in a paper cup. I turn back, and Amanda McKinney throws up all over herself. I knew the moment it happened, it was a miracle. I could have been kissing her when she threw up. It would have scarred me for life. I may never have recovered.
It was a funny part in the movie, an attempt to break up more scary parts. But there was a reason it's funny: some people think like that.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

LARA

You know, just once I'd like to hear this more often,

"My life was a mess.  I felt like I had to have some sort of religion, some kind of label to make myself a better person.  I investigated every religion I could find for some sort of structure to make sense of all this mess.  I took a few things here and there that were positive from each, but ultimately the imaginary structures of religion provided no panacea for the ills of life.  My final realization and freedom from my own self-induced pain was the realization that no one and no God was responsible for me.  I had to fix my own damn problems.  And I did, slowly and painfully, 100 steps forward, 99 steps back, but eventually reaching some sort of normalcy and, dare I say it, occasional real happiness.  My disbelief saved my life, but even more importantly, my mind."

I want to see that once in awhile, because that's my story.  But, of course, you aren't going to see that in the glossy rags.
Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows.
                                                                                                                    -Winston Smith, protagonist of 1984 by George Orwell

rlrose328

Quote from: "LARA"I want to see that once in awhile, because that's my story.  But, of course, you aren't going to see that in the glossy rags.

My story too, Lara... but if a star came out and said that, one not already ON the Atheist Celebrity lists, they'd lose a portion of their fanbase and they know it.  Sad how those people matter but we don't, isn't it?
**Kerri**
The Rogue Atheist Scrapbooker
Come visit me on Facebook!

curiosityandthecat

Interestingly, when polling folks about their religious beliefs, it depends on whether or not they think someone can find out.

Roughly 15% of people mark No Religion when asked and are under the assumption that they are not anonymous.

Roughly 20% of people mark No Religion when asked and are under the assumption that they are anonymous.

This leads me to believe that there are many more people who identify with the "No Religon" tag than are even willing to admit to themselves. The number increases by 33% when they believe no one will find out! That's intensely significant.

(Statistics taken from the 2001 BeliefNet poll, a nationally-representative poll conducted by ABC.)
-Curio