News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

9/11 a holiday?

Started by rlrose328, October 22, 2008, 04:53:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rlrose328

This is just wrong, IMNSHO.

If it were the NYC Police, I'd say they have a bit of a case... and I'm sure some of these police went to NYC to help.  But to make it a paid holiday?  That's a bit of a stretch.

There are other national tragedies that don't have their own holidays (Pearl Harbor?).  I just don't think having a holiday for a tragedy that killed thousands of people is appropriate.  :unsure:
**Kerri**
The Rogue Atheist Scrapbooker
Come visit me on Facebook!

curiosityandthecat

Hey, I'm cool with it if it means I get extra pay, too. (Ba-dum.)

If we made every tragedy a holiday, we'd never get any work done. Hey, let's make Morris Massacre Day and we can all take off a day in late March or early April!  :|

I'm with you, rlrose328, it's unnecessary. We should celebrate good events and people, things that changed our country for the better. For me, making 9/11 a holiday would simply gild Bush's oh-so tarnished image in our history books.
-Curio

Whitney

I think it's a bad idea to make it a holiday...not because it was a tragedy; there could be a good reason to make it a holiday for personal reflection or something like that (although I don't think that it would have much use on a permanent basis since as time goes on those that might need that time won't be around anymore).  However, I think that every time we let 9/11 unnecessarily interfere with moving on as a country it's another small victory in the minds of those who organized the terrorist attack.

Asmodean

How long will people be hung up on this whole 11.09 thing? It's been what..? Seven years since? Move on is my message. No point in making a holiday out of it.

You can't get out of being angry or miserable or whatever by dwelling on it, now can you?
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Will

I remember hearing the anniversary of 9/11 called "Patriot Day", which I'm okay with, but getting a paid holiday doesn't make a whole lot of sense.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.