News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Death

Started by Moosader, October 14, 2008, 07:19:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moses

I personally think that when we get to a certain age, regardless of if our genes could properly get protein, I think we would become very mentally world-weary. I do not want to die right now but I also would never want to live forever. That is actually one of my biggest turn offs in religion. However I love life and am happy with most of it and even appreciate the rough times as giving me experience. But to live forever seems like it is way too much of a good thing, after awhile you will get numb to it. After all the more things change the more they stay the same.

I do think to many people do die prematurely from disease and war but if we are capable of leading what is a fufilling life (to us) then dying is something that is like bowing out. It can be done gracefully. I do not mean grace in the sense that some people would think would be physically graceful, but I view grace like this "It is not what happens to you that makes you a better person or more a graceful one but how you deal with it".

I am lucky to have seen several people I know do this looking forward to "eternal rest" but not being depressed while it happens. Not all of these people were old either.

Anyway, sorry for that diatribe.

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "Moses"I personally think that when we get to a certain age, regardless of if our genes could properly get protein, I think we would become very mentally world-weary. I do not want to die right now but I also would never want to live forever. That is actually one of my biggest turn offs in religion. However I love life and am happy with most of it and even appreciate the rough times as giving me experience. But to live forever seems like it is way too much of a good thing, after awhile you will get numb to it. After all the more things change the more they stay the same.

I do think to many people do die prematurely from disease and war but if we are capable of leading what is a fufilling life (to us) then dying is something that is like bowing out. It can be done gracefully. I do not mean grace in the sense that some people would think would be physically graceful, but I view grace like this "It is not what happens to you that makes you a better person or more a graceful one but how you deal with it".

I am lucky to have seen several people I know do this looking forward to "eternal rest" but not being depressed while it happens. Not all of these people were old either.

Anyway, sorry for that diatribe.

I want to live forever. I'll be the first one to jump on that drug trial if there ever is one. I'm an experience whore. I can't possibly experience and learn everything in one measly lifetime! I also hate the fact that I have to spend so much time sleeping, which is, I believe, "death's cousin" according to the French.
-Curio

Dragon_Of_Heavon

My outlook on death is that it is simply another stage of the life cycle. In a way we are all immortal after all. Mater can never be destroyed just redistributed so where as i am no longer here I am not gone I am just changed into something else. This is not to be confused with the idea of consciousness or self traveling in this next form as well. When you are dead that is all. I think every thing simply breaks down and is redistributed. It would be rather foolish to believe that we are the only ones in this universe that have an immortal spirit. In my view this idea is worse than beliveing that we are the only sentient life in the universe.
When the last bastion of religion falls the religious will look up at the sky and ask their God why? And then they will collapse wailing and grinding their teeth. The atheist will look at his feet and say "I think that I can build something better here!"

McQ

Quote from: "Dragon_Of_Heavon"My outlook on death is that it is simply another stage of the life cycle. In a way we are all immortal after all. Mater can never be destroyed just redistributed so where as i am no longer here I am not gone I am just changed into something else. This is not to be confused with the idea of consciousness or self traveling in this next form as well. When you are dead that is all. I think every thing simply breaks down and is redistributed. It would be rather foolish to believe that we are the only ones in this universe that have an immortal spirit. In my view this idea is worse than beliveing that we are the only sentient life in the universe.

Welcome to the forum dragon. To add to your post, in a way we are breaking down into other things well before death too. Ours cells die all through our life, we excrete and respire constantly (well, some of us excrete constantly, but that's a whole different issue!), and we change much of our matter into heat energy via various electrochemical actions every moment. So you might say we are immortal from before we are even born. Kind of cool.

Again, welcome.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

SSY

Quote from: "Dragon_Of_Heavon"My outlook on death is that it is simply another stage of the life cycle. In a way we are all immortal after all. Mater can never be destroyed just redistributed so where as i am no longer here I am not gone I am just changed into something else. This is not to be confused with the idea of consciousness or self traveling in this next form as well. When you are dead that is all. I think every thing simply breaks down and is redistributed. It would be rather foolish to believe that we are the only ones in this universe that have an immortal spirit. In my view this idea is worse than beliveing that we are the only sentient life in the universe.

Wait, you are an atheist but you beleive in a spirit? From your other post about the scientific method I am surprised you hold this view.
Quote from: "Godschild"SSY: You are fairly smart and to think I thought you were a few fries short of a happy meal.
Quote from: "Godschild"explain to them how and why you decided to be athiest and take the consequences that come along with it
Quote from: "Aedus"Unlike atheists, I'm not an angry prick

Kylyssa

Quote from: "curiosityandthecat"I want to live forever. I'll be the first one to jump on that drug trial if there ever is one. I'm an experience whore. I can't possibly experience and learn everything in one measly lifetime! I also hate the fact that I have to spend so much time sleeping, which is, I believe, "death's cousin" according to the French.

Me too!  I get my share of crap in this life but there's just so much to do that I can't imagine ever wanting to bow out gracefully.  There's so much to learn, so much to do, so much joy and pleasure to be had.

Dragon_Of_Heavon

Dear SSY

No sorry to have confused you I am an atheist it was a clumsy attack on religion. I go to a catholic college I am used to playing devils advocate to get my point across. I do not believe in a spirit at all.
When the last bastion of religion falls the religious will look up at the sky and ask their God why? And then they will collapse wailing and grinding their teeth. The atheist will look at his feet and say "I think that I can build something better here!"