News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Death

Started by Moosader, October 14, 2008, 07:19:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zarathustra

Quote from: "Elvis Priestly"Aren't the radical Islamic suicide bombers supposed to get a hundred virgins in the afterlife, or was it a thousand?
72, I think. - I'd rather have 2 sexually experienced sluts in their mid-twenties, but hey: That's just me.  :hail: That was a fine statement. And a thoughtprovoking one: I am starting a thread about this.
"Man does not draw his laws from nature, but impose them upon nature" - Kant
[size=85]English is not my native language, so please don't attack my grammar, attack my message instead[/size]

karadan

Quote from: "Elvis Priestly"Personally, I fear the way the religions use the human survival instinct (a.k.a. fear of death) to manipulate people.

Throughout history religions have used the lure of a pleasant afterlife to get people (mostly young men) to throw their lives away on a battlefield for causes that the religion supports (often its own expansionism). Aren't the radical Islamic suicide bombers supposed to get a hundred virgins in the afterlife, or was it a thousand? Can you say jihad? I thought you could.

Many theists seem to have this strange idea that without the threat of eternal suffering, people will be fundamentally evil or at least completely amoral. I don't get that at all. Maybe theists are fundamentally evil, and religion with its threat of eternal suffering gives them the incentive they need to function normally in civilized society. They assume that everyone else is just like them.

If there are no atheists in foxholes, it's probably because they were smart enough not to go there in the first place.

Fuckin' A!
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

Runamukk

My logic concludes me to believe that when we die it exactly like before we were born. No pain, sorrow, perception, nada. Not a bad thing at all.

Wechtlein Uns

Even though you die, your actions in this life continue to have an effect on the universe after your death. Thus, there is an inherent responsibility in death to settle your accounts before you go, don't you think?
"What I mean when I use the term "god" represents nothing more than an interactionist view of the universe, a particularite view of time, and an ever expansive view of myself." -- Jose Luis Nunez.

BadPoison

Quote from: "Wechtlein Uns"Even though you die, your actions in this life continue to have an effect on the universe after your death. Thus, there is an inherent responsibility in death to settle your accounts before you go, don't you think?

Why? I see nothing inherent about your preposed responsibility in life.
It's when we adopt a philosophy (such as humanism) that we find reasoning for responsibility.

Kyuuketsuki

Quote from: "Wechtlein Uns"Even though you die, your actions in this life continue to have an effect on the universe after your death. Thus, there is an inherent responsibility in death to settle your accounts before you go, don't you think?

Given that I am a parent and I believe that it is up to me to ensure (as far as I can) that my children are good citizens and will contribute something positive to the world even after I am gone I'd have to say I agree with you i.e. it isn't hard to extend that to a more abstract positive POV.

Kyu
James C. Rocks: UK Tech Portal & Science, Just Science

[size=150]Not Long For This Forum [/size]

Caucmusulman

Death is pretty f'd up, we are not even programmed to die, it just happens because of retarded cells, and BESIDES, HOW AWESOME IS THE FACT THAT YOU COULD FREEZE YOUR SEMEN AND AFTER YOU DIE, SOME CRAZY WOMAN WILL TAKE SOME OF THAT AND MAKE A BABY WITH YOUR GENES!!! that always cracks me up, the only thing you could do after dying.......IS MAKE MORE BABIES
01010111 01101001 01101011 01101001 01110000 01100101 01100100 01101001 01100001 <------- If enibodi knows what ta hell that means, please tell me,  I've   only   got   26,421   days left to live, and that's if everything goes according to plan.

PipeBox

Quote from: "Caucmusulman"Death is pretty f'd up, we are not even programmed to die, it just happens because of retarded cells, and BESIDES, HOW AWESOME IS THE FACT THAT YOU COULD FREEZE YOUR SEMEN AND AFTER YOU DIE, SOME CRAZY WOMAN WILL TAKE SOME OF THAT AND MAKE A BABY WITH YOUR GENES!!! that always cracks me up, the only thing you could do after dying.......IS MAKE MORE BABIES

Technically that just someone taking a personal effect of yours and then triggering the effect.  It'd be no different if a book was released after you died, or a clone was created from a skin sample, or you were put in cold storage and then restored to consciousness in the distant future when mankind gained the technology to revive you.

You can actually do a LOT of stuff after you die, you just can't generally trigger the effects in person.
If sin may be committed through inaction, God never stopped.

My soul, do not seek eternal life, but exhaust the realm of the possible.
-- Pindar

Caucmusulman

Quote from: "PipeBox"
Quote from: "Caucmusulman"Death is pretty f'd up, we are not even programmed to die, it just happens because of retarded cells, and BESIDES, HOW AWESOME IS THE FACT THAT YOU COULD FREEZE YOUR SEMEN AND AFTER YOU DIE, SOME CRAZY WOMAN WILL TAKE SOME OF THAT AND MAKE A BABY WITH YOUR GENES!!! that always cracks me up, the only thing you could do after dying.......IS MAKE MORE BABIES

Technically that just someone taking a personal effect of yours and then triggering the effect.  It'd be no different if a book was released after you died, or a clone was created from a skin sample, or you were put in cold storage and then restored to consciousness in the distant future when mankind gained the technology to revive you.

You can actually do a LOT of stuff after you die, you just can't generally trigger the effects in person.
well, if you actually want to try and prove me wrong, even though all i wanted to do is say that the fact that you can have your kids made after you die is awesome, you can have a button made that is sensitive to your heart beat and after it doesnt sense the beat of your heart it sends a signal to have your sperm delivered to whoever inseminates women, i don't know the details, so in fact you CAN trigger the effect just by dying, cuz your heart is technically you,well part of you. i hate when people miss the fun and go straight into attack mode....bam bam .....bam   ________||_                
                                                      \________    \
                                                                 \\)_\   \                          
                                                                        \__\                           supposed to be a gun
01010111 01101001 01101011 01101001 01110000 01100101 01100100 01101001 01100001 <------- If enibodi knows what ta hell that means, please tell me,  I've   only   got   26,421   days left to live, and that's if everything goes according to plan.

PipeBox

Quote from: "Caucmusulman"well, if you actually want to try and prove me wrong, even though all i wanted to do is say that the fact that you can have your kids made after you die is awesome, you can have a button made that is sensitive to your heart beat and after it doesnt sense the beat of your heart it sends a signal to have your sperm delivered to whoever inseminates women, i don't know the details, so in fact you CAN trigger the effect just by dying, cuz your heart is technically you,well part of you. i hate when people miss the fun and go straight into attack mode....bam bam .....bam   ________||_                
                                                      \________    \
                                                                 \\)_\   \                          

That was attack mode?   I hardly consider what I said any kind of personal attack.  I'd even dare to say my post was more of an addenum, never saying you were wrong.   Though I will say the absence of your heartbeat is hardly something you will.  Your example is a piece reactionary technology that would just as soon be triggered in open air, and in every case it does not trigger because of your intervention but due to a lack of it.  It's a deadman's switch, in every sense of the word.   :D

I don't miss the fun, I just see waaaaay too many arguments based on incredulity during my day.  You were not making any argument, you were just asserting that you found something "weird."  I wished to expand your observation so that it would be more complete, and you might avoid making an argument from incredulity in the future.  Not saying you definitely would make a fallacious argument, either.  I make a lot of statements out of precaution, it might not make me a hit at parties, but it certainly isn't because I have a problem with people being fun or because I want to attack them.

-- Pindar

curiosityandthecat

Natural dying (from old age) is the result of improper protein reception by cells. If someone could figure out how to prevent cells from losing their ability to receive proteins over time, then voila, immortality.  :)
-Curio

PipeBox

Quote from: "curiosityandthecat"Natural dying (from old age) is the result of improper protein reception by cells. If someone could figure out how to prevent cells from losing their ability to receive proteins over time, then voila, immortality.  :)

-- Pindar

Caucmusulman

Quote from: "PipeBox"
Quote from: "Caucmusulman"well, if you actually want to try and prove me wrong, even though all i wanted to do is say that the fact that you can have your kids made after you die is awesome, you can have a button made that is sensitive to your heart beat and after it doesnt sense the beat of your heart it sends a signal to have your sperm delivered to whoever inseminates women, i don't know the details, so in fact you CAN trigger the effect just by dying, cuz your heart is technically you,well part of you. i hate when people miss the fun and go straight into attack mode....bam bam .....bam   ________||_                
                                                      \________    \
                                                                 \\)_\   \                          

That was attack mode?   I hardly consider what I said any kind of personal attack.  I'd even dare to say my post was more of an addenum, never saying you were wrong.   Though I will say the absence of your heartbeat is hardly something you will.  Your example is a piece reactionary technology that would just as soon be triggered in open air, and in every case it does not trigger because of your intervention but due to a lack of it.  It's a deadman's switch, in every sense of the word.   :banna: peanut butter jelly time

Kyuuketsuki

Quote from: "curiosityandthecat"Natural dying (from old age) is the result of improper protein reception by cells. If someone could figure out how to prevent cells from losing their ability to receive proteins over time, then voila, immortality.  :D

Kyu
James C. Rocks: UK Tech Portal & Science, Just Science

[size=150]Not Long For This Forum [/size]

SSY

Quote from: "PipeBox":)

If people stop dying of old age, people will start getting murdered once the food starts to run out. I think a life extending drug would seriously screw up this planet. Even if it were discarded, I'm sure a few greasy politicians would find an excuse to get it " Oh this? I need to live for a least another 200 years to make sure my policy reforms are in order. The yacht? That has nothing to do with it."

I take a rather dim view of humanity in general and politicians in particular.
Quote from: "Godschild"SSY: You are fairly smart and to think I thought you were a few fries short of a happy meal.
Quote from: "Godschild"explain to them how and why you decided to be athiest and take the consequences that come along with it
Quote from: "Aedus"Unlike atheists, I'm not an angry prick