News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Questions about "Jesus in my heart"

Started by Tom62, September 14, 2008, 09:10:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McQ

Quote from: "Voter"
Quote from: "McQ"You did assert that SteveS personally attacked you. He did not. That is a false accusation.
Quote from: "Voter"Actually you've [SteveS] demonstrated on another thread that you do know how to resort to personal attacks.
Quote from: "SteveS"Okay. Apparently, I did say "deliberately misleading". I should have checked, my memory is obviously not infallible, and I'm sorry. Bad on me --- again, I will offer you another apology if this came across as rude.
:|
QuoteAnd do not whine about being picked on or singled out because you are not an atheist, since it isn't true. I saw that in the other thread. Anyone I see, who acts as you have, done will get the same warning. I moderate fairly, with no bias toward faith or non-faith.
I didn't see SteveS get a warning for calling me deliberately misleading. SteveS seems to be an atheist.
QuoteItchy trigger finger?

He realized his mistake and on his own good conscience, apologized, and continued the discussion in the spirit of genuine interest. You, on the other hand, are now trying to play the "martyr" card. There is no bias here. It exists only as your opinion, and you are mistaken.

Quote from: "Voter"Yes. There are plenty of similar sites, and all that I've been to are more tolerant.

I am not being intolerant of anything except your disregard for etiquette and the rules of this forum. I am not interested in your opinion of other boards and how you think we compare.  

QuoteIf you don't like it, don't participate.

That's what I did last time, and if you keep it up I will again. I'm used to some amount of antagonism between Bible-believing Christians and atheists and have no problem with it, but there's no need for me to put up with double standards by the mods. Too bad, since, like a train wreck, people complain about me, but threads I participate in get lots of posts and views.

What kind of a threat is it to tell me if I "keep it up I will again"? Keep what up? And you will what again? Not participate? I don't care if you participate or not. I only care that you abide by the forum rules. And since you are so sensitive about personal attacks, why do you think accusing me of having a double standard is ok? That's a personal attack. For one, it isn't true. For another thing, it gets you nowhere, except looking like you are trying to continue to play the martyr card. I've been tolerant of your outbursts and accusations here, or you would have already been banned. Moreover, SteveS has shown the highest level of tolerance and patience with you, yet you are still complaining and using him as an example of someone who should be warned about rudeness.

A lot of threads get views and posts, not just the ones you participate in. And do you measure your worth here by the amount of discord you can bring about? That's not a very christian attitude.

I suggest you try moving on from this and getting along with the other members. Do not continue to derail this thread any further. This needs to get back to the OP and discussion.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Voter

QuoteHe realized his mistake and on his own good conscience, apologized, and continued the discussion in the spirit of genuine interest. You, on the other hand, are now trying to play the "martyr" card. There is no bias here. It exists only as your opinion, and you are mistaken.
So are you now admitting that I was personally attacked? If so, your false accusation charge against me was, itself, a false accusation.
QuoteI am not being intolerant of anything except your disregard for etiquette and the rules of this forum.
Exactly! If you were also intolerant of others' disregard for etiquette, there wouldn't be a problem.
QuoteMoreover, SteveS has shown the highest level of tolerance and patience with you, yet you are still complaining and using him as an example of someone who should be warned about rudeness.
And I've supported that position, which is more than you've done. Saying that someone is deliberately misleading is pretty much calling them a liar, or at best accusing them of intellectual dishonesty. Now, if you have cause, that's fine. If not, that's extremely disrespectful, much worse than any unprovoked attack I've made in these threads. To his credit, when presented with the evidence, SteveS retracted and offered apology. I've also presented evidence that your enforcement of the rules is biased or arbitrary. Unlike SteveS, you continue the proclamations of fairness. Fox News can proclaim that they're fair and balanced as much as they want, but the evidence shows otherwise. Same thing here.
Quote from: "An anonymous atheist poster here"Your world view is your world view. If you keep it to yourself then I don't really care what it is. Trouble is you won't keep it to yourself and that's fine too. But if you won't keep your beliefs to yourself you have no right, no right whatsoever, not to have your world view bashed. You make your wo

McQ

Quote from: "Voter"So are you now admitting that I was personally attacked? If so, your false accusation charge against me was, itself, a false accusation.

No, not at all. I agree that you got an apology from someone who wanted to keep the level of discourse civil. I don't think that what SteveS did was against forum rules, despite what you've said. And if it had been, he posted a retraction and apology before it became a problem and derailed an entire thread. I did not need to do anything as a moderator at that point. Despite this, you have continued to attack others and derail the thread, instead of stopping and moving on. You yourself admitted to being rude, and admitted that you use it as a way to react when you feel you are being badgered. Yet you offer no apology or retraction. Who is breaking forum rules? You are.

QuoteI am not being intolerant of anything except your disregard for etiquette and the rules of this forum.
Exactly! If you were also intolerant of others' disregard for etiquette, there wouldn't be a problem.

If you have paid any attention to this board as a whole, you would know that I play no favorites. You ignore this and continue to grouse about unfair moderation. The only reason there is a problem here is because of your continued accusations and inability to move on.

QuoteMoreover, SteveS has shown the highest level of tolerance and patience with you, yet you are still complaining and using him as an example of someone who should be warned about rudeness.
And I've supported that position, which is more than you've done. Saying that someone is deliberately misleading is pretty much calling them a liar, or at best accusing them of intellectual dishonesty. Now, if you have cause, that's fine. If not, that's extremely disrespectful, much worse than any unprovoked attack I've made in these threads. To his credit, when presented with the evidence, SteveS retracted and offered apology. I've also presented evidence that your enforcement of the rules is biased or arbitrary.

No, you haven't. You've just felt that you were singled out because I didn't give SteveS a warning. There was no need. He corrected himself before there was any need to step in. And as i said already, there was no need to even step in in the first place. He stated what he felt you were doing. He didn't get rude or become belligerent, as you have done.

Quote from: "Voter"Unlike SteveS, you continue the proclamations of fairness. Fox News can proclaim that they're fair and balanced as much as they want, but the evidence shows otherwise. Same thing here.

And you can continue to say that you think it is unfair, but you have presented no evidence for it, despite your claim. All you have done is call attention to your own disregard for the forum and your misperception of its moderation. You can use all the bad analogies you want, but it doesn't make you right. And you will notice that none of this has been even an official warning from any of the Mods or Admins. If you continue to derail this thread, however, a warning will be issued.

You have the opportunity to continue to be a participating member of this forum. I prefer to keep members here and see meaningful discourse. It's up to you to if you want to be a meaningful part of the forum or not. And ultimately I would guess that both your time and mine would be better spent on other things.
--Penn Jillette

Voter

LOL, just noticed your subnic: "Foolproof and incapable of error." Guess that says it all. Later.
Quote from: "An anonymous atheist poster here"Your world view is your world view. If you keep it to yourself then I don't really care what it is. Trouble is you won't keep it to yourself and that's fine too. But if you won't keep your beliefs to yourself you have no right, no right whatsoever, not to have your world view bashed. You make your wo

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "Voter"LOL, just noticed your subnic: "Foolproof and incapable of error." Guess that says it all. Later.

Looks like someone's never seen 2001.
-Curio

rlrose328

Quote from: "curiosityandthecat"
Quote from: "Voter"LOL, just noticed your subnic: "Foolproof and incapable of error." Guess that says it all. Later.

ROFL!  One of the best movie quotes ever...  :D
**Kerri**
The Rogue Atheist Scrapbooker
Come visit me on Facebook!

Whitney

This is probably the appropriate time to admit that I have not seen 2001 either...but I still knew the quote wasn't meant to be a statement of fact.

Jolly Sapper

Quite a bit of trolling going on around here.

McQ

Quote from: "laetusatheos"

This is probably the appropriate time to admit that I have not seen 2001 either...but I still knew the quote wasn't meant to be a statement of fact.

Yeah, in fact it's a bit of an inside joke in my family because I'm such an Uber-fan of 2001. I love the character of HAL and my wife said she was going to start calling me HAL. I asked her if it was because I am, "...by any practical definition of the words, foolproof and incapable of error." Using the line from the movie, of course. Her answer was, "No. It's because you're evil!" LOL!

OK, what were we talking about here? Oh yeah, Jesus in My Heart. I remember thinking that it was a very different thing for all of the born again christians I knew. For most it seemed like a very emotional thing, and not a solid thought process. Then you had my catholic family who kept him in them by eating him each week.  :raised:

I don't know, it's such an ambiguous thing. A lot of different interpretations of what it is, and each group thinks the others are wrong, of course.
--Penn Jillette

curiosityandthecat

I don't want Jesus in my heart. Unless he's very tiny and eats cholesterol. Then I'd think about it.

Quote from: "McQ"Yeah, in fact it's a bit of an inside joke in my family because I'm such an Uber-fan of 2001.
I think it's available on Bluray now. *drool*
-Curio

Kylyssa

Quote from: "curiosityandthecat"I don't want Jesus in my heart. Unless he's very tiny and eats cholesterol. Then I'd think about it.

That is just precious!

Asmodean

Quote from: "Kylyssa"
Quote from: "curiosityandthecat"I don't want Jesus in my heart. Unless he's very tiny and eats cholesterol. Then I'd think about it.

That is just precious!
I want a fat-eating Jesus in my stomach. Then I can stop going to gym and double my intake of burgers.  :banna:
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.