News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Beware of those ‘In Your Face’ Atheists!

Started by jamesatracy, September 10, 2008, 11:07:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LARA

Only Cynthia knows what she actually believes and in retrospect, it's getting patently absurd to classify her as anything at all from just two sentences.  Preferring not to have supernatural explanations isn't really atheism.  You don't have to have a belief in God to believe in the supernatural, although that seems to be associated with it often.  There are most likely people out there who believe you can bend spoons with their minds but do not believe in God, this would be belief in the supernatural plus an atheist belief.  And conversely, if you are a fan of American history you might recall a phrase that Jefferson penned "nature's god"  (originally uncapitalized) which would imply some sort of a higher power than would follow or be generated from natural causes or vice versa.  With your definitions for agnosticism, I'm now not sure if she fits in this category either.  She never said anything close to "We cannot know if there is or isn't a God."  Any characterization or labeling of this person's belief is most likely inaccurate based on a two sentence quote and her own chosen label is probably far more accurate than anything I might call her.
Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows.
                                                                                                                    -Winston Smith, protagonist of 1984 by George Orwell

jamesatracy

LARA,

That is why I wrote earlier: "My points are raised not necessarily against Cynthia the actual person but the "Cynthia" as expressed through the article."

The issues raised by the article and Cynthia's statements therein are more important to me here than whether or not I can get an accurate reflection of what the real Cynthia believes or does not believe, claims to know or does not claim to know. At the very least, the article provides a jumping off point for analyzing the concepts of atheism & agnosticism.