News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

TV Shows

Started by NoFearNoLimits, August 27, 2008, 12:58:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoFearNoLimits

Was wondering what everyone's favorite tv shows are.  Most of the ones i watch are on hiatus, so was looking for some recommendations.  Some great shows that I recommend are:

House MD -  Great show, and the main character is an atheist.
Lost - Has alot of Science vs. Faith themes.  Season 1 is the best.
Dexter - Besides the main character the acting isn't that great, but it's pretty good.
"I'd rather live one day as a lion, than a lifetime as a sheep"

shedaytrips

Prison Break is a really good show. I also like Law & Order SVU and CSI.

Jolly Sapper

About the only thing worth while (besides PBS) I used to watch on the three channels I get with the rabbit ears was Pushing up Daisies.  

I tried to like Lost, I really did, but it just started to get really annoying.  I've read books that moved through the plot the same way, but there weren't commercial breaks, constant reruns, and over hyped "all new episodes."  So I figure that if I wait and watch the last episode of the series, with all of the flashbacks, I won't have missed much.

McQ

Nova Science Now
Nature
Dirty Jobs
Engineering an Empire (only a limited number were made)
The Girls Next Door (to balance out the highbrow stuff)
Reruns of Seinfeld
Sports broadcasts
Specials on PBS, Discover, History Channel.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

rlrose328

We watch a LOT of TV... thank goodness for TIVO.  However, I'm hitting the books hard when school again rolls around, so this list will be shorter.  I just haven't figured out what to give up yet... even with TIVO, there's only so many hours in a day.  Decisions, decisions.

Dexter : Hubby started watching this while I was at mom's in June, bought the seasons and re-watched them when I returned.  Good show... disturbing, but edge-of-the-seat fun.

House : Though last season tested my patience.

Big Love : Well-acted and interesting, especially with the compound folks.  Good Mormon fun.

Californication : We love David Duchovny and this show is just fun, too.

Burn Notice :  The most fun show we watch... love the voice-overs/freeze-frame explanations, easy acting, great scripts.

Heroes : Previous favorite, but we'll see how this season goes.

Lost : Same as Heroes.  They could easily lose me this season.

How I Met Your Mother : 3 words... Neil Patrick Harris.  Oh, 2 more... Allyson Hannigan.  'Nuf said.

Pushing Daisies : Smartest comedy out there... can't wait for the return.  We love the lead guy because he was on Wonderfalls and we miss that show SO much... one season just wasn't enough.  But again, too smart for the average person.

The Office : Just finished a 2-season marathon (over 2 weeks or so)... can't wait for the new season to start and for season 3 to come out on DVD!  We watched the first two episodes when it first came out and it was just TOO cringe-worthy and we hated it.  But Joe started watching it again the beginning of season 3 and before long, we were hooked.

The hubby also watches Stargate: Atlantis and, with the kid, MXC.  When the kid starts to understand the inuendo, MXC will be out.   :D
**Kerri**
The Rogue Atheist Scrapbooker
Come visit me on Facebook!

Msblue

I also watch House & Dexter. I gave up on Lost.

A few of the shows on my Tivo are:

Terminator...starting again soon?
Weeds
Family Guy
American Dad
Burn Notice
Dirty Jobs
Generation Kill. The series is over but, it should be online.

MariaEvri

I ahrdly ever watch tv. when I do, I usually watch national geographic, animal planet or discovery channel. I like mythbusters, how its made, megabuilders, air disaster and shows like that.
God made me an atheist, who are you to question his wisdom!
www.poseidonsimons.com

rlrose328

Quote from: "MariaEvri"I ahrdly ever watch tv. when I do, I usually watch national geographic, animal planet or discovery channel. I like mythbusters, how its made, megabuilders, air disaster and shows like that.

Those are at the top of our list to watch as a family.  I also love a number of reality shows.  I limited my list to primetime brainless fare.  :cool:
**Kerri**
The Rogue Atheist Scrapbooker
Come visit me on Facebook!

jcm

the soup
jeopardy
heroes
house
nova science now
family guy
the universe
iron chef america

what not to wear for as long as i can stand it   :hail: TiVo!  :banna:
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. -cs

EvolutionCalling

Family Guy
America Dad
Venture Bros
South Park
Futurama
Aqua Teen
Lil Bush
The Daily Show
The Colbert Report

Basically if it doesn't come on Cartoon Network or Comedy Central I don't need to see it.

Faithless

Nature
Nova
How it's Made
Star Trek and TNG reruns
News
Law and Order
anything narrated by David Attenborough
and my alltime favorite...I Love Lucy!
"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." - Carl Sagan

"It ain't those parts of the Bible that I can't understand that bother me, it is the parts that I do understand." - Mark Twain

Benoît Bôls

I don't watch as much TV as I used to, but here's what's on at my house:

The Simpsons
Family Guy
Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles
Prison Break
House, M.D.
(I've been told I remind people of him. My crankiness, not my smarts. I used to walk with a cane, too.)
Hell's Kitchen
Kitchen Nightmares
(Yeah, I dissed reality TV in another thread, but I like these shows! I guess it's because I love food!)
CSI: Crime Scene Investigation (The original. I might tune out this season as it's beginning to jump the shark.)
Click and Clack's As the Wrench Turns (Not a great cartoon, but it reminds me of the ones I grew up on.)

I might check out Fringe when it premieres.

In the Classic TV section of my library:

I Dream of Jeannie (Most unrealistic, but, damn, if Barbara Eden wasn't hot back then!)
Get Smart (To remind me that the original was a zillion times better than that damn movie.)
"Nothing frightens me more than religion at my door."
- John Cale

quizlixx

burn notice is really worth watching
"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is."

Asmodean

Of those currently on air, Stargate Atlantis, Mythbusters and ER. Of all shows I ever watched, add X-Files, Stargate SG-1, Due South and a couple of others.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

monkeyNutBread

Oh Burn Notice... I  have another reason to be anxious for Sept. 11!

I mostly watch funny shows like 3rd Rock and The Office, and also stand-up comedy on Comedy Central. I also like stuff like Monk but that's really a guilty pleasure.
I capitalize the letter g in "God" like how I capitalize the letters h and f in "Huckleberry Finn".