News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Taliban mini-rant

Started by Asmodean Prime, June 22, 2006, 10:16:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asmodean Prime

I originally posted this on 5/18 on the old forum, just before the biggest Taliban offensive in 4 years.

Just heard from a friend in Afghanistan today; She works in Army Intelligence, and confirmed what I’ve been reading of late…the Taliban are making a comeback.

Time and time again, throughout history, megalomaniacs have overreached. This happened with Napoleon and Hitler, and now G. Bush. The first casualty of Bush’s ambitions in Iraq was Afghanistan. Instead of dedicating the resources necessary to secure and rebuild this country, we are now witnessing the birth of a narco-terrorist state. Because of this, the Taliban along with their Pakistani cohorts, have found fertile ground for their radical fundamentalist pathology. We are now faced with horrible choices, none of which promise a favorable outcome. We continue to support Hamid Karzai, the ruler of Kabul…not Afghanistan. Afghanistan belongs to the two groups I named, and we have no strategy for increasing Karzai’s influence. Why? Because our resources were diverted to Iraq at a critical time in the war in Afghanistan. Subsequently, we have starved Afghanistan of the resources necessary to effect real change in this ancient country that has befuddled previous occupiers throughout history, most recently the Soviet Union.

We are now faced with a Hobson’s choice, and I have no idea how we find a favorable outcome. We have fueled the Taliban movement, and converted NW Pakistan from a passive supporter of the Taliban to a fervent participant. On the other hand, the country’s real financial resources belong to the narco-terrorists, which have expanded poppy crops to massive levels.

The keys to reversing the trends in Afghanistan do not exist there. They exist in Washington. We need a massive change in our leadership and direction for foreign policy involvement of our military. We need to project power in a different manner if we are to make changes in the world. Instead of military solutions, we need to involve the world, and develop methods of persuasion that do not involve isolated military involvement. America has a message to offer…time to find a way to deliver it without force.

epi406

The USA needs to seriously consider just what we are doing in the world and we should go to war if and only if we have to. And that war needs to be planed and oversight needs to be in place(at least with the current administration). We have lost so much and gained so little engaging in all these little scirmishes around the world. We need a lllloooonnnngggg term approcach to foreign policy and stop making these idiot little wars that end up going nowhere.

Court

And who thought it would be a good idea to go into two countries at once? Oh, yeah, that's brilliant. Why don't we stretch our resources...that'll work. I don't know anything about war, but I could have told you that wouldn't work.
[size=92]
I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of silent seas
[/size]
[size=92]
try having a little faith = stop using your brain for a while -- ziffel[/size]

Asmodean Prime

Quote from: "Court"And who thought it would be a good idea to go into two countries at once?

Some guy from Texas...Shrub  ;)

Update:  My friend's unit had its first death the other day.  

Fighting is fierce, rumors rampant that more troops have been requested.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 00428.html

MikeyV

QuoteThe keys to reversing the trends in Afghanistan do not exist there. They exist in Washington. We need a massive change in our leadership and direction for foreign policy involvement of our military. We need to project power in a different manner if we are to make changes in the world. Instead of military solutions, we need to involve the world, and develop methods of persuasion that do not involve isolated military involvement. America has a message to offer…time to find a way to deliver it without force.

I'm interested in hearing your suggestions.

QuoteAnd who thought it would be a good idea to go into two countries at once?

Yeah, I mean really, that would be like sending troops to Kosovo, Bosnia, Somalia, and getting into daily shoot outs with Iraq in the no-fly zone, and starting Operation Fox...what an idiot...oh wait...
Life in Lubbock, Texas taught me two things. One is that God loves
you and you're going to burn in hell. The other is that sex is the
most awful, dirty thing on the face of the earth and you should save
it for someone you love.

-- Butch Hancock.

Asmodean Prime

Mikey V, you may want to read the post titled "A Radical Response to Terrorism".

MikeyV

QuoteMikey V, you may want to read the post titled "A Radical Response to Terrorism".

OK, I did. I agree it was a nice essay, with a good military campaign history of the US.

But, you didn't provide any suggestions. For instance, here are the last two paragraphs:

QuoteThis third reason is the critical argument for a new approach to foreign policy…we need to approach the rapidly approaching future as a world community, gathering as many sane people as possible to ward off the looming threat.

What do you mean "gather", and how do you propose we do this?

QuoteWe need to stop trying to impose our will on our friends and enemies, and become a real example of what a republic can be.

I can agree with this to some extent. I don't however, see anything wrong with trying to improve US interests around the world, as long as we're not giving other countries the shaft.

QuoteWe need to allow the conflicts of the world to be resolved in different ways than we have in the past.

Such as? I can't really say whether I agree or disagree with this statement, because you haven't really said anything.

QuoteWe need to be a leader in the world community and not a rogue state.

I'm interested in hearing when it is you think we went rogue. Could you pinpoint the year?

QuoteWe need a compact, reduced military to be used for defensive purposes only.

In an ideal world, I'd agree with this sentiment. If we could count on every other country to do so, it would be an awesome thing. But, it's just not the way the world works. How do you suggest we handle future Pol Pots, Hitlers and Stalins? Should we send them a letter from the UN telling them how very very angry we are with them (thanks Team America)?

QuoteWe need to set a stage for a new, cooperative world effort to minimize the dangers of future technological advances.

Advances such as what? Are you a Luddite? Or are you talking about military application of technology?

QuoteLet’s stop creating enemies, and start cultivating friends in the world.

I can agree with that. We have dirty hands in many places on this earth. One of the simplest solutions would be to stop supporting corrupt regimes, such as Saudi Arabia. Stop pissing away money into crooked programs such as oil for food. See, real solutions.

I share your dream of a peaceful world. One in which crime and poverty are virtually non-existant the world over. One in which my daughters feel safe and don't need to fear a vacation in the middle east, or a midnight walk in the park. But, you haven't really offered anything, just ranted. Let's hear some suggested solutions.
Life in Lubbock, Texas taught me two things. One is that God loves
you and you're going to burn in hell. The other is that sex is the
most awful, dirty thing on the face of the earth and you should save
it for someone you love.

-- Butch Hancock.