to all members who classify themselves as "godless"

Started by quizlixx, August 09, 2008, 04:55:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rlrose328

Quote from: "Asmodean"
Quote from: "deadhead"i am for labeling yourself, just don't let others label you. i am deadhead, the guitarist, atheist, student. :D

LOL!

Hubby goes by "Lord God Emporor of All Time and Space."  Too much of a mouthful for me.  I'll stick with "Mom, solver of all things."  Hm... guess that's a mouthful too.   :cool:
**Kerri**
The Rogue Atheist Scrapbooker
Come visit me on Facebook!

TheDutchAthiest

Atheist doesn't sound negative to me. I'm okay with it, because the word expresses all I am: not a theist.
I was an atheist... until I discovered I was God.

quizlixx

hey I'm sure you'll all get a kick out of this. i got called a "demon sent from satan to temp christians", really not kidding. but then again, i am in a town where i am the only non-southern baptist.   :banna:
"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is."

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "quizlixx"hey I'm sure you'll all get a kick out of this. i got called a "demon sent from satan to temp christians", really not kidding. but then again, i am in a town where i am the only non-southern baptist.   :|
-Curio

quizlixx

Quote from: "curiosityandthecat"
Quote from: "quizlixx"hey I'm sure you'll all get a kick out of this. i got called a "demon sent from satan to temp christians", really not kidding. but then again, i am in a town where i am the only non-southern baptist.   :|
out damn christian, thou shall not tempt me to accept jesus :eek2:
"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is."

dodgecity

Quote from: "curiosityandthecat"Profound, indeed! I like Sam Harris. However, it felt to me as if he was being a bit too blunt and effusive in The End of Faith. I mean, a whole chapter titled "The Problem With Islam"? Come on. I know we non-believers all feel rather frustrated and amazed at the (perceived) stupidity of believers, but casting aspersions get us nowhere. We're talking about a group of people who still believe in a patriarchal Santa Claus; we must tread lightly or be victims of playground retaliation.

I haven't had the pleasure of reading The End of Faith quite yet.

I have to admit that I share the opposite view. Sam Harris simply calls religion for what it is. A great mystery to us all is why religion still persists today. I think Sam Harris touches down on that. It persists because we respect it. It persists because we don't laugh in their faces. In no other area of conversation do we "tread lightly" when an argument is made without reason. Sam Harris is simply tired of making an exception for religion. (and rightly so)

Watch Sam Harris talking about the power of laughter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjhbccXIp4c&feature=related

And when you say "perceived" while referencing the stupidity of believers, you make it seem like we simply hold another belief. As if we believe they are stupid, instead of the evidence pointing to it. Honestly, I found your use of the word "perceived" very disturbing. You seem to be a person who highly values his perpetual open mindedness. That's fantastic, but don't forget what Richard Dawkins said(but did not coin):

QuoteThere's this thing called being so open-minded your brains drop out.

All that said, I wanted to thank you for your post. It has been on my mind for several days, causing me to think critically about the concept. :)

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "dodgecity"And when you say "perceived" while referencing the stupidity of believers, you make it seem like we simply hold another belief. As if we believe they are stupid, instead of the evidence pointing to it. Honestly, I found your use of the word "perceived" very disturbing. You seem to be a person who highly values his perpetual open mindedness.

I'm far from perpetually open-minded. :)[/quote]

It bothered me for a long time, too. On one hand, I want to be strong in my convictions and "evangelize" no less than the televangelists or local street-corner orator. On the other hand, I want to be better than that, be better than them. Ants and honey, after all...

Still, thank you. :)
-Curio

dodgecity

Ah, yes, point taken. You're right, it is conflicting, in a good way. "Rising above" is very important to me as well. :)

Ninja Donkey

I also use godless and heathen in ironic terms, along with one of my favorites; blasphemer. It's fun to use their supposedly insulting words to describe yourself. It catches them off-guard, and sticks in their craw a bit. My preferred term is atheist, and if there's any confusion, I explain simply and politely so they know for the next time.
"Don't you know there ain't no devil, it's just god when he's drunk" - Tom Waits