News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Crucified frog

Started by afreethinker30, August 06, 2008, 04:18:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

afreethinker30

QuotePope Benedict XVI's summer break at a seminary in the mountains of northern Italy has led to demands for the removal of a "provocative" sculpture of a crucified frog on show in a nearby museum.

Local Catholics have complained to the police that the work by the German artist Martin Kippenberger, on show at the Bolzano Museum of Modern Art, is a "public obscenity". It depicts a bright green frog with its tongue hanging out, nailed to a cross, with a beer mug in one outstretched hand and an egg in the other.

Pope Benedict began his summer break this week near Bolzano at Bressanone (Brixen) in the mountains of Trentino-Alto Adige, also known as South Tyro, which was part of Austria until Italy gained it after the First World War.

The Pope, who recently returned from Australia and is to visit Lourdes in September, greeted hundreds of well-wishers in both Italian and his native German at the Bressanone seminary. The pontiff used both names for the town, saying in his German remarks: “I am very happy to be back with you in Brixen, which holds so many happy memories for me.” He visited the seminary ten times as a cardinal.

It is not known whether the pontiff plans to visit Bolzano and the art museum. However Monsignor Wilhelm Egger, Bishop of Bolzano and Bressanone, revealed that he had discussed the sculpture with the Pope. He declined to say how the pontiff had reacted.

The Union for South Tyrol, a separatist group, said it had collected 10,000 signatures for a petition demanding the removal of the crucified frog. Franz Pahl, the president of Trentino-Alto Adige regional council, has gone on hunger strike in protest over the exhibit.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/faith/article4436051.ece

Asmodean

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Will

Jesus Christ! Now I'm hungry for frog leg soup.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

afreethinker30

We should pray for the frog.  :banna:

Asmodean

Quote from: "afreethinker30"We should pray to the frog.  :D
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

crocofish

Kermit Christ!

It reminds me of the controversy about Piss Christ, an art piece which was a crucifix submerged in a container of urine.
"The cloud condenses, and looks back on itself, in wonder." -- unknown

Deicideisfunny

He died for frog's and toad's sins!
Why doesn't Jesus feed the children?

ALL HAIL TEH JEEBUS :hail:

tacoma_kyle

Hungar strike? Haha ya we believe you...
Me, my projects and random pictures, haha.

http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o22/tacoma_kyle/

"Tom you gotta come out of the closet, oh my gawd!" lol

afreethinker30

Makes me think of a Bill Hicks line.

QuoteA lot of Christians wear crosses around their necks. You think when Jesus comes back he ever wants to see a f*ing cross? It's like going up to Jackie Onassis wearing a rifle pendant.

quizlixx

i demand that afreethiner30 be banned from this site for soiling the good name of the pope!
"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is."

afreethinker30

Quote from: "deadhead"i demand that afreethiner30 be banned from this site for soiling the good name of the pope!

Awwww...but..Yeah I soiled..I will soil again..It will never stop.  

NEVER

ever

Asmodean

Quote from: "deadhead"i demand that afreethiner30 be banned from this site for soiling the good name of the pope!
:D

'Sides, I hear the pope was once a HitlerJugend. Thus, he's evil.  :D
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

afreethinker30

Quote from: "Asmodean"
:D

'Sides, I hear the pope was once a HitlerJugend. Thus, he's evil.  :D

Pius XII  Hitler's Pope....not only does the Vatican protect child molsters they saw no issues with Hitler killing Jews,gays and anyone else who was considered a deviant.

Tanker

QuotePius XII Hitler's Pope....not only does the Vatican protect child molsters they saw no issues with Hitler killing Jews,gays and anyone else who was considered a deviant.
Thats not quite fair there are many stories of catholic priests hiding, helping, and protecting thoses zeroed out by the Nazis. And the vatican was afraid to take sides being a small country surounded by one of the Axis countries. Or taking the chance of completly ostricizing half there thier following. That being said the Catholic religion is full of sick fucks and in my opinion is the worst of the Christian sects.
"I'd rather die the go to heaven" - William Murderface Murderface  Murderface-

I've been in fox holes, I'm still an atheist -Me-

God is a cake, and we all know what the cake is.

(my spelling, grammer, and punctuation suck, I know, but regardless of how much I read they haven't improved much since grade school. It's actually a bit of a family joke.

afreethinker30

Quote from: "Tanker"
QuotePius XII Hitler's Pope....not only does the Vatican protect child molsters they saw no issues with Hitler killing Jews,gays and anyone else who was considered a deviant.
Thats not quite fair there are many stories of catholic priests hiding, helping, and protecting thoses zeroed out by the Nazis. And the vatican was afraid to take sides being a small country surounded by one of the Axis countries. Or taking the chance of completly ostricizing half there thier following. That being said the Catholic religion is full of sick fucks and in my opinion is the worst of the Christian sects.

I heard on the news they now have strict rules on where and what touching of children is ok.Things like a bearhug are out but high five is ok.I was going by what all information I could find on Pope Pius XII.Information seems to vary from place to place,book to book.And site to site.History and it's telling I'm sure is off on alot of things.Still there was alot blamed on Jewish peoples that we know are fact.