News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

What's this?

Started by zorkan, May 05, 2024, 05:41:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zorkan

Dark Lightning

It is an aid for knitting fingers for gloves.

Recusant

Used for an ancient precursor of Dungeons and Dragons, surely.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Icarus

it is an errant space ship brought by tiny aliens who misplaced their balls.

In fact it is a superb piece of work by a highly skilled artisan. A bit too intricate for a sand cast mold. Probably a clay mold of some sort. The most difficult part of the mold was the cavities for the knobs. Aside from the method of production, the maker of the object knew more than a little about solid geometry and a helping of trig..

I spent a part of my professional life designing molds for various objects and various materials.  I'd have gotten a headache while doing that mold design work. 

Our casting/sculpting/artistic  Hermes might weigh in on the possible method that was used.

The object need not have a specific purpose. It could be an exercise in artful creation by a very clever person.     

Dark Lightning

That particular example in the link above is cast bronze. My wife has one that used nails for the knobs. The different size holes are for different size fingers.
Here is one in use-

billy rubin

set the function, not the mechanism.

Tank

A pasta measure?

EDIT: They'll be some red faces in academia over that :rofl:
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

zorkan

Skin massage tool perhaps.
Romans liked cleanliness.
Hold one side with fingers, then all over do it yourself body massage.
Might have been a big seller as many of these have been found.

Tank

Quote from: zorkan on May 07, 2024, 12:16:45 PMSkin massage tool perhaps.
Romans liked cleanliness.
Hold one side with fingers, then all over do it yourself body massage.
Might have been a big seller as many of these have been found.

I think you missed the video like I did :D
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Recusant

I don't think the "knitting tool" hypothesis is conclusive. Some of those dodecahedrons are only about 4 centimeters tall (1.5 inches). Seems unlikely that they were knitting gloves for infants (or toddlers for that matter). Some of them are made of stone and solid as well--would not work for the purpose. Then there are the smaller versions made of gold that were found in Asia.

Similarly enigmatic ancient objects: the carved stone balls from the British Isles.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

hermes2015

Quote from: Recusant on Today at 03:49:41 AMI don't think the "knitting tool" hypothesis is conclusive. Some of those dodecahedrons are only about 4 centimeters tall (1.5 inches). Seems unlikely that they were knitting gloves for infants (or toddlers for that matter). Some of them are made of stone and solid as well--would not work for the purpose. Then there are the smaller versions made of gold that were found in Asia.

Similarly enigmatic ancient objects: the carved stone balls from the British Isles.

Thanks for the link; those stone balls are wonderful. They are quite inspiring and I shall look at more examples to use as seeds for my concrete spheres.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

hermes2015

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Tank

Quote from: Recusant on Today at 03:49:41 AMI don't think the "knitting tool" hypothesis is conclusive. Some of those dodecahedrons are only about 4 centimeters tall (1.5 inches). Seems unlikely that they were knitting gloves for infants (or toddlers for that matter). Some of them are made of stone and solid as well--would not work for the purpose. Then there are the smaller versions made of gold that were found in Asia.

Damn! Spoil sport!  >:(