News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Petrol head thread!!!

Started by billy rubin, October 29, 2019, 10:41:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billy rubin

still need some bits. headlamp, brake pedal, cables, seat . . .

easy stuff in principle, but to find something that bolts on to a 60-year -old motorcycle puts you at th emercy of the people who have held onto that stuff for that many years.

but everybody benefits, inthe end.

set the function, not the mechanism.

billy rubin

heres the motor

its a 1966 T120R bonneville, a standard 650 triumph unit. i have the guts from a 1970 gearbox and primary drive to go into it, a 1969 two-carb cylinder head assembly, a 1970 crank and rods. i'll rebore it to 060 over, find some pistons, put on some mikunis and an ARD magneto and see where we end up.

new, it looked like this:

we ll be satisfied with lots less

Dark Lightning

Gad, that's a pretty bike! I'm looking for a replacement for my soon-out-of-warranty econobox. It's probably good for many years of service, but I know that the first electronic part is going to be $1k; it's just the nature of the beast. I'm looking at this 1950 Studebaker pickup
 on CL with a gleam in my eyes.

billy rubin

dude

the 50s studebakers were the best looking pickups of their era

no running board but everything worked right

classic

buy any of them you can find

Icarus

I would love to get my hands on a 1950 Studebaker truck.....or a 1940 Willys pickup like the one I had when I was a kid.

We could fix either of these with a pair of pliers, a screwdriver and some bailing wire. My 1956 Dodge Dart got better gas mileage than my 2004 Honda with all its snazzy electronics. The little Dodge did not need an electronic scanner to tell me what might be wrong. Neither will the Studebaker.

billy rubin

i am a firm believer in attempting to be proficient in any technology upon which your life depends

so i try to understand electricity, permaculture, construction, hydrology, motors, and so on

i love the studebakers

but life is short

Dark Lightning

What holds me off from buying it-
1. No disc brakes, though I've driven thousands of vehicles not so equipped as a mechanic
2. Nobody else in this household has driven a stick shift vehicle (except for my wife, once, just before I sold my '64 Impala hot rod convertible)
3) Rarity of parts
4) $13k

I can unload my econobox for enough to pay for it. Call me crazy; I may end up buying it just for the cool factor, though I'd be just as happy with a '67 Chevy long bed step side, similarly equipped. At least those parts (of all types) are readily available.

Flip side- some neighbors adore my '70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn Custom Camper, but they like Old Studes better. Maybe I could buy it and flip it. Not greedy, just a thought.  :notsure:

Icarus

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.