News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Fictional Place Names

Started by The Magic Pudding.., November 01, 2023, 10:37:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asmodean

Are those the kinda-squat "high speed lava" volcanoes like those in Iceland, or are there notable differences?
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

billy rubin

what are high speed volcanoes?

i dont know much about icelsnd. the place is weird. its about the only place i can think of where an honest to god midocean ridge is on the surface. most spreading zones are deep sea and consist of a giant crack in the gabbro crust being widened while basaltic lava (melted  gabbro) oozes up and solidifies. but its all heavy so its usuallu below sealevel.. i dont know why iceland is on the surface.

but if tbe underlying magma composition is the same uou would expect lots of mostly gentle volcanoes, like the ones in hawaii.  eruptions are splashy with lots of flows out the sides and long rivers of molten rock, but no vesurvius or krakatoa style stuff. tourist-friendly volcanoes, mostly, if you dont get too close.

set the function, not the mechanism.

billy rubin

the atlantic ocean is vastly wider than in this simple diagram

hermes2015

Long place names are not just found in Wales. Here is a South African one:

Tweebuffelsmeteenskootmorsdoodgeskietfontein

It is a real name and means "Two Buffalos Shot Dead with One Shot Fountain".

https://curlytales.com/places-in-the-world-with-longest-names-to-have-your-tongue-twisted/
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

billy rubin

hermes2015

I've heard that the owner of the original farm that is central to that area was an excellent shot, hence the name. The name shows how compound nouns are created by simply stringing words together in some Germanic languages like German, Dutch, and Afrikaans, which is a variant of Dutch that is spoken in South Africa.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

billy rubin

Some German words are so long that they have a perspective. Observe
these examples:
Freundschaftsbezeigungen.
Dilettantenaufdringlichkeiten.
Stadtverordnetenversammlungen.

These things are not words, they are alphabetical processions.

Generalstaatsverordnetenversammlungen.
Alterthumswissenschaften.
Kinderbewahrungsanstalten.
Unabhaengigkeitserklaerungen.
Wiedererstellungbestrebungen.
Waffenstillstandsunterhandlungen.

Of course when one of these grand mountain ranges goes stretching across
the printed page, it adorns and ennobles that literary landscape but at
the same time it is a great distress to the new student, for it blocks up
his way; ... "
- "That Awful German Language," Appendix D of A Tramp Abroad

hermes2015

Quote from: billy rubin on November 04, 2023, 09:57:41 AMSome German words are so long that they have a perspective. Observe
these examples:
Freundschaftsbezeigungen.
Dilettantenaufdringlichkeiten.
Stadtverordnetenversammlungen.

These things are not words, they are alphabetical processions.

Generalstaatsverordnetenversammlungen.
Alterthumswissenschaften.
Kinderbewahrungsanstalten.
Unabhaengigkeitserklaerungen.
Wiedererstellungbestrebungen.
Waffenstillstandsunterhandlungen.

Of course when one of these grand mountain ranges goes stretching across
the printed page, it adorns and ennobles that literary landscape but at
the same time it is a great distress to the new student, for it blocks up
his way; ... "
- "That Awful German Language," Appendix D of A Tramp Abroad

My German isn't too bad, so I can read those words aloud without stumbling. The systematic nomenclature of organic molecules has its origins in German, because many pioneering organic chemists were German and started naming molecules systematically. That is why non-chemists, especially English speaking ones, struggle to read the names of molecules.
― Charles Eames

billy rubin

but that actually makes sense

1,1,1,hydroxychloropentamene stuff?

i had a geochemistry class from a guy who talked about slaked lime and potash and i never knew what he was talking about

Tom62

The longest official Dutch word is "aansprakelijkheidswaardevaststellingsveranderingen".
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Tank

Quote from: Tom62 on November 04, 2023, 12:12:06 PMThe longest official Dutch word is "aansprakelijkheidswaardevaststellingsveranderingen".

Ok. Now I want to know what the longest unofficial Dutch word is :)
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tom62

Quote from: Tank on November 04, 2023, 12:41:25 PM
Quote from: Tom62 on November 04, 2023, 12:12:06 PMThe longest official Dutch word is "aansprakelijkheidswaardevaststellingsveranderingen".

Basically, you can make these words as long as you want. There is no limit. For example: a children's carnival parade requires preparation work and committee members to organize it. If you make one word from that, you will get "kindercarnavalsoptochtvoorbereidingswerkzaamhedencomitéleden". To increase the size of that word you could make it a carnival parade for small children, hence "kleinekinderencarnavalsoptochtvoorbereidingswerkzaamhedencomitéleden". :)
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

billy rubin

Tank

"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Tank

Quote from: Tom62 on November 04, 2023, 05:58:10 PM
Quote from: Tank on November 04, 2023, 12:41:25 PM

Basically, you can make these words as long as you want. There is no limit. For example: a children's carnival parade requires preparation work and committee members to organize it. If you make one word from that, you will get "kindercarnavalsoptochtvoorbereidingswerkzaamhedencomitéleden". To increase the size of that word you could make it a carnival parade for small children, hence "kleinekinderencarnavalsoptochtvoorbereidingswerkzaamhedencomitéleden". :)

So that's where the idea of Lego came from!