News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Who Am I?

Started by Ecurb Noselrub, September 22, 2023, 12:23:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recusant

Quote from: hermes2015 on October 04, 2023, 07:49:11 AM
Quote from: Recusant on October 02, 2023, 03:08:11 PM:thumbsup2:

I worship the sky, and am said to have been born with blood in my fist. My riders and I cover huge distances and subdue opposition we encounter, frequently with severe action.

Genghis Khan?

Yes. It grates on my ear when English speakers pronounce the title with a hard G. Looking at older sources, you will see it spelled with a "J" or a "Ch".
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

hermes2015

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Icarus on October 04, 2023, 05:23:16 AM1. Fictional woman in Britain, last of the 18th century.

2. Orphan girl given name was Margery Meanwell. Brits had a habit of naming people for their trades or perceived characteristics.

3. a wealthy stranger adopted Margery's brother but left her adrift. The stranger did buy her some clothes and other items before he left.

What is her most familiar name?

Goodie Two Shoes

The Magic Pudding..

Quote from: Recusant on October 04, 2023, 02:52:55 PM
Quote from: hermes2015 on October 04, 2023, 07:49:11 AM
Quote from: Recusant on October 02, 2023, 03:08:11 PM:thumbsup2:

I worship the sky, and am said to have been born with blood in my fist. My riders and I cover huge distances and subdue opposition we encounter, frequently with severe action.

Genghis Khan?

Yes. It grates on my ear when English speakers pronounce the title with a hard G. Looking at older sources, you will see it spelled with a "J" or a "Ch".

I have checked the older sources 1:47

If you suffer from cosmic vertigo, don't look.

Icarus

Thanks Pudding. Temujin is one of my most fascinating characters.

Recusant

Quote from: The Magic Pudding.. on October 18, 2023, 11:18:56 AM
Quote from: Recusant on October 04, 2023, 02:52:55 PM[. . .]

I have checked the older sources 1:47

Well done. It depends on the historical consultant hired by the film, I suppose. I'm not sure but I think this one uses the hard G.  ;D

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Recusant

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on October 09, 2023, 04:47:25 PM
Quote from: Icarus on October 04, 2023, 05:23:16 AM1. Fictional woman in Britain, last of the 18th century.

2. Orphan girl given name was Margery Meanwell. Brits had a habit of naming people for their trades or perceived characteristics.

3. a wealthy stranger adopted Margery's brother but left her adrift. The stranger did buy her some clothes and other items before he left.

What is her most familiar name?

Goodie Two Shoes

I think you're up.

"Goody" at the time the story was written was more or less equivalent to "Mrs" but that usage has disappeared.
— H. L. Mencken

Icarus

O.K. Who was the fearless or perhaps reckless warrior commander who said: "Damn the torpedoes,full speed ahead"?

billy rubin

admiral dewey, i thought, manila bay. i was wrong, and shall remain silent

set the function, not the mechanism.