News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Israeli-Hamas war

Started by Asmodean, October 09, 2023, 10:41:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billy rubin

Quote from: Asmodean on November 01, 2023, 09:08:39 AMWhy..? I think the simplest explanation is that Hamas construct their message out of their ass, which necessitates it being full of exactly what you would expect. :smilenod:

If it reads like propaganda, it probably is.

the history is spot on, im afraid.

set the function, not the mechanism.

The Magic Pudding..

Quote from: billy rubin on November 01, 2023, 12:10:28 PM
Quote from: The Magic Pudding.. on November 01, 2023, 07:02:33 AM
Quote from: billy rubin on October 31, 2023, 09:07:49 PMwhat i see is hamas rejecting the imposition of a state of israel upon ordinary residents of palestine, a last blow of the dying imperialist west upon a subject colony, performed to assuage their collective guilt over their persecution of the jews by forcing some other persecuted people to pay the price.

I could understand "the dying imperialist west" having sympathy for Jews, but why guilt?
Post WW2 those with the whip hand hadn't conducted the holocaust, they'd ended it.

centuries of european and asian persecution by everybody led to tbe holocaust being possible.

Or perhaps allowing the paltry words of pacifists to give sway?
If you suffer from cosmic vertigo, don't look.

Asmodean

Quote from: billy rubin on November 01, 2023, 12:11:02 PMthe history is spot on, im afraid.
Remember that saying about devils quoting religious texts?

Well, that one contains a gem of wisdom amid the bullshit too, most appropriately.

Hamas presents a version of history that favours (or at least is meant to) Hamas. Any self-respecting propagandist can do as much.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tom62

We should not be surprised if the Palestinians lie to us. It is just a mater of taqiyya and tawriya,

- taqiyya: the Muslim doctrine that allows lying in certain circumstances, primarily when Muslim minorities live under infidel authority.

- taweiya: a doctrine that allows lying in virtually all circumstances, including to fellow Muslims and by swearing to Allah, provided the liar is creative enough to articulate his deceit in a way that is true to him.

The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Asmodean

Or as Futurama put it,

"You are technically correct. The best kind of correct."

A statement can be true and tell "none" of the story, or present the wider picture from a very specific, narrow angle while being perfectly able to withstand any scrutiny of its factuality. Manipulative language... It has a certain aspect of art to it, to be honest.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Asmodean

From what I can see in local media, Hamas may be looking for a ceasefire in exchange for the hostages.

I wonder if a ceasefire is a good idea for Israel though - they do need to save the hostages or at least try, but can they afford giving Hamas any breathing room?

Difficult...

In other news, our parliament is discussing whether or not to recognise the state of Palestine. Initiated by the Communists, naturally enough, but I do hope that even they have the sense to see just what symbol they prop up with such symbol politics. For instance, could it be "if you commit a large enough act of terror, then you must be a nation?" I, for one, oppose the very notion, but then when a proposal is made, it has to be discussed and voted over.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Icarus

I interrupt the conversation with a question? .....................

Over a long period of time, the Jews have been persecuted and damned by societies all over the world. We have a sizable segment of our population, here in the US, that would have the Jews all transported across the sea. But the people across the sea are likely to reject them.

Why are Jews disliked by so many non Jews?

Disclaimer:  I am definitely not Jewish. My question has nothing to do with the current war in Israel.   

Asmodean

Hmm... I believe to have read or heard that it could have broadly the same roots as the dislike of gypsies. I think it boiled down to the settled disliking the nomad or some such, but I must admit that as reasons go, that one seems pretty hollow.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Tom62

Quote from: Icarus on November 14, 2023, 11:08:02 PMI interrupt the conversation with a question? .....................

Over a long period of time, the Jews have been persecuted and damned by societies all over the world. We have a sizable segment of our population, here in the US, that would have the Jews all transported across the sea. But the people across the sea are likely to reject them.

Why are Jews disliked by so many non Jews?

Disclaimer:  I am definitely not Jewish. My question has nothing to do with the current war in Israel. 

The Jewish population is very diverse. You have very moderate Jews on one side and the extreme orthodox Jews on the other (and anything in between). Especially the orthodox Ashkenazi Jews are treated with a lot of distrust, because they have their own culture; their own beliefs, etc. They are also regarded as being very self-righteous and obnoxious.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Asmodean

Failure to integrate... That sounds far less hollow, actually.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

The Magic Pudding..

There is a war of bombs and bullets and a war of propaganda being fought.
It seems unlikely Israel would take such a propaganda hit unless fighters are in/under hospitals.

Unless Hamas suckered them, pretending to be under the hospitals.

Devious

The Magic Pudding..

Quote from: Icarus on November 14, 2023, 11:08:02 PMWhy are Jews disliked by so many non Jews?

Success, prosperity.

I know I resent anyone more successful or prosperous than me.
What are they doing being above me, they should be below me, jabba jabba jabba jabba jabba jabba

billy rubin

Quote from: The Magic Pudding.. on November 15, 2023, 07:44:15 AMThere is a war of bombs and bullets and a war of propaganda being fought.
It seems unlikely Israel would take such a propaganda hit unless fighters are in/under hospitals.

Unless Hamas suckered them, pretending to be under the hospitals.

Devious

i am certain theyre under hospitals. hamas are cold blooded murderers, and digging under a hospital makes great tactical sense.

the israelis are hot blooded murderers and dont think things through as well as hamas.

both sides lie so much its hard to know the facts, but hamas has incriminated itself again and again

set the function, not the mechanism.

Asmodean

Quote from: billy rubin on November 15, 2023, 05:00:59 PMand dont think things through as well as hamas.
How so? There be terrorists under the hospital. You go in, do the proper blazing of guns and bursting-in-air of bombs and then - maybe no terrorists under the hospital?

It seems like the tool is suitable to the objective.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

Quote from: Asmodean on November 16, 2023, 09:07:27 AM
Quote from: billy rubin on November 15, 2023, 05:00:59 PMand dont think things through as well as hamas.
How so? There be terrorists under the hospital. You go in, do the proper blazing of guns and bursting-in-air of bombs and then - maybe no terrorists under the hospital?

It seems like the tool is suitable to the objective.

Given what Hamas did in the way of PR when one of their own rockets misfired into a hospital car park earlier Israel will not use the blunt force option on this hospital. Given Hamas have had years to prepare the alleged tunnel system under the hospital they will probably have riddled it with booby traps and kill traps. It's an Israeli death trap.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.