News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

"No Religion" largest group in USA

Started by Ecurb Noselrub, April 14, 2019, 12:09:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zorkan

Quote from: Tank on May 09, 2024, 10:48:01 PMThe 'Hitchens' effect?

Is that Hitchens's razor?

"what can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence"

Tank

Quote from: zorkan on May 10, 2024, 01:03:28 PM
Quote from: Tank on May 09, 2024, 10:48:01 PMThe 'Hitchens' effect?

Is that Hitchens's razor?

"what can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence"

Not in this case. If you look at Recusant's post it's the synthesis of atheism in the American environment. A cycle of refinement that make atheists appear outspoken which means that only outspoken atheists bother to get involved in debate and around it goes.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Icarus

Not many of us are outspoken without cause. It is prudent here to avoid conversations about religion. The ultra christian element can become rabid and dangerous. Their "turn the other cheek" deal does not seem to be working  for them.

I am more than willing to enter into a spirited discussion when prompted to do so. But that depends on the mind set of the other person or persons. My usual attitude is to ignore the people who are unwilling to carry on a meaningful conversation.

The hard shell religious folk, along with the MAGA crowd, have a condition sometimes described as conditioned bias. The more you argue with them the more entrenched they become. When shown the fallacies in their reasoning they anchor their resistance even more firmly. When dealing with people of that variety there is no use talking to them..........

zorkan

There are plenty of people like that in the UK, and I don't know why.
Some people just like going to church (no problem with that), but others stand up on outdoor platforms to spout out their venom.
As there is no point in arguing with them, I just ask questions.

"Is slavery permitted by the Bible?"
"Is the Earth flat?"
"Is it 6000 years old?"
"How did kangaroos find their own way to the Ark?"
"How is a man born of a ghost?"
"Did the saints rise from their graves?"

By which time I'm getting bored at their absurd beliefs.
I can even discover they haven't even read the bible.

Fastest growing in UK:
https://www.premierchristianity.com/opinion/elim-is-one-of-the-fastest-growing-church-movements-in-the-uk-heres-why/13171.article

More recently with the influx of Hong Kongers the Chinese church is fastest growing.
https://www.biblesociety.org.uk/latest/news/chinese-church-is-the-fastest-growing-in-the-uk-report-finds/

https://www.sixthtone.com/news/1011968