News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Christian Nationalism.

Started by Old Seer, August 24, 2023, 03:09:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Lightning

Prior the death of my FiL I had a pistol and a carbine. Gained some firearms, which I'd rather not have, TBH. Nothing unlawful. Firearms possession in the US really is a big problem. The vast majority are in collections and out of the hands of criminals. One criminal can make a lot of dead, which really is a problem. I don't watch much TV, but I can tell you that the amount of gun-related death (never mind the lasers, swords and daggers) that my wife watches is appalling. I only know of it because I hear/see it when I walk through the room. I'm generally in the "shop" making things, or surfing the net at non-violent sites about woodworking, metalworking, and antique trucks (of which, I have one).

billy rubin

i agree that we have a culture problem in america with guns, and it is a simple fact that people own them who dont know enough to be safe, and worse, who consider their use to be acceptable in normal situations.

im thinking of those appalling cases recently where people are being shot for knocking on the wrong door.

using a gun is a last resort decision, and is not acceptable unless your life is in real danger, right now. texas is the only place i know where killing in defense of property is legal, but texans are barbarians.

i think gun ownership should be restricted, and i am willing to have restrictions aspply to me. but i dont see them as likely given the weird gun culture.

but people i know and live next to are being executed by strangers while minding their own business, and if i am ever in that situation, i would rather be able to shoot back.

set the function, not the mechanism.

Tom62

As an outsider, I find it weird that violence in movies or on TV isn't a problem in the US, but if a breast pops accidentally out of a lady's skirt it is a huge scandal.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Tank

Quote from: Tom62 on September 03, 2023, 09:12:37 AMAs an outsider, I find it weird that violence in movies or on TV isn't a problem in the US, but if a breast pops accidentally out of a lady's skirt it is a huge scandal.

I know! Totally bizarre. If everybody was shagging each other the world would be a much better place.

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tank

It might be the comfort of the ignorant but I never even thought about guns while I was in San Francisco.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

billy rubin

i remember benny hill showing skits where the birds had their boobies out and nobody thought a thing about it. in the 70s.

but here in the land of the free a young girl cant have an abortion because it will destroy the social fabric, but when shes shot to death in her fourth grade classroom, all we need are thoughts and prayers to make it okay.

i honestly dont know what to do with my country. its insane over here.

set the function, not the mechanism.

Tank

Quote from: billy rubin on September 03, 2023, 09:36:14 PMi remember benny hill showing skits where the birds had their boobies out and nobody thought a thing about it. in the 70s.

but here in the land of the free a young girl cant have an abortion because it will destroy the social fabric, but when shes shot to death in her fourth grade classroom, all we need are thoughts and prayers to make it okay.

i honestly dont know what to do with my country. its insane over here.

I can't deny your logic :(

Asmodean

Quote from: Tom62 on September 03, 2023, 09:12:37 AMAs an outsider, I find it weird that violence in movies or on TV isn't a problem in the US, but if a breast pops accidentally out of a lady's skirt it is a huge scandal.
I don't think pixelated violence is necessarily a problem - we don't seem to have it, nor do the Swiss and so forth - and we do consume broadly the same stuff in comparable amounts. It's an avenue for escapism. Of course, it is possible that Americans are just overall less "stable" than "the rest," but then the correct question to ask would be why that is the case.

I think he same applies to boobies. It can be useful to ask what drives this excessive (by some European standards at least) prudishness.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Icarus

Quote from: Asmodean on September 06, 2023, 08:11:38 AM
I don't think pixelated violence is necessarily a problem - we don't seem to have it, nor do the Swiss and so forth - and we do consume broadly the same stuff in comparable amounts. It's an avenue for escapism. Of course, it is possible that Americans are just overall less "stable" than "the rest," but then the correct question to ask would be why that is the case.

I think he same applies to boobies. It can be useful to ask what drives this excessive (by some European standards at least) prudishness.

The religious right decrees that any display of boobs or penises, even unintentionally, are crimes against God. The mere mention of those body parts causes deep end Jesus people to become uncomfortable.....or so they say. In fact the Religious right, statistically have more children than sectarians do. 

All the while, youth pastors, deacons, and full scale preacher men are too frequently seducing teen age girls. They must be banging the teens in dark rooms so that God will not see them, the preacher will not see her boobs etc.

The most religious regions have, verifiably, the most out of wedlock pregnancies, the most teen age pregnancies. One might wonder how that could possibly happen in the bible belt. Could stupidity (and over active, but forbidden libidos) play into the game somehow?

Xcuse please...I may be over sensitive about such things. When I was in high school, I had a crush on a certain girl. She was always nice to me but would never encourage me at all. It came to pass that she was being regularly had by the local Baptist preacher. That kind of stuff lasts in ones brain for a long time.

Asmodean

Quote from: Icarus on September 08, 2023, 03:15:54 AMThe religious right decrees that any display of boobs or penises, even unintentionally, are crimes against God. The mere mention of those body parts causes deep end Jesus people to become uncomfortable.....or so they say. In fact the Religious right, statistically have more children than sectarians do.
I think this ignores a bunch of variables to then miss the root cause aspect of my question. Look to nudity in mainstream entertainment for an example. The stuff coming from "The anglosphere" (though not exclusively) tends to avoid it even where it would make sense, while the stuff from, say, "Germanosphere" is far more laid-back when it comes to such things. Personally, I've been skinny dipping with Christians and Right-wingers (Well, when I use plural... There was only one christian in that bunch) and the skinny part of it was just not a big deal to any-one involved. We were out doing nature stuff. The water was warm. Not one of us had swimming shorts.

Obviously, I can't konw if the believer among us spent the following month crying himself to sleep every night, but I have good and valid reasons to think that he thought about it no more than the rest.

QuoteXcuse please...I may be over sensitive about such things. When I was in high school, I had a crush on a certain girl. She was always nice to me but would never encourage me at all. It came to pass that she was being regularly had by the local Baptist preacher. That kind of stuff lasts in ones brain for a long time.
I can see how something like that might tunnel a person's vision somewhat. Personally, I see it thusly; there is nudity. There is sex. There may or may not be love. Those things may be related, but they may also not be. In the anecdote above, none of it was remotely sexual or romantic, but there was more-or-less public nudity for no other reason than that it made sense under the circumstances. We do have christian baggage, so where in the evolution of our respective societies did "the Anglosphere" go one way while the "Germanosphere" went another? For what reason?
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Icarus

Long ago I was at a sporting event in a very French location Northeast of Montreal, Quebec, Canada. The outdoor event had toilet buildings.  I needed to pee. Approaching one of the buildings I looked for signs that designated which doorway was for women or for men. No such signs were there. My bladder was signaling urgency. I hesitated to enter either of the doors at the ends of the buildings. Finally a man came out of the one of the doors. Whew! that must be the men's room. On entering I discovered that there were women in the same room.

The French Canadians use unisex toilets without giving it a thought. This dumbass hillbilly learned that all of us do not have the same hang up about bathroom use.

That is a sad reality. Here in Florida and elsewhere within the grips of christian nationalists, there is much ado, even outrage, about having transgender persons dare use a segregated toilet that does not correspond to their sex at birth.   

Tank

What got me about San Francisco was the proliferation of different loos. Male, female, trans gender, no gender. It would be so much simpler if there were just a set of loos.

The Magic Pudding..

Quote from: Tank on September 09, 2023, 08:46:27 AMWhat got me about San Francisco was the proliferation of different loos. Male, female, trans gender, no gender. It would be so much simpler if there were just a set of loos.

Simpler perhaps but much less efficient.
A male with even the merest skerrick of order in their lives will rarely have need of a public shitter, the communal trough will almost always suffice. 
Other genders have more complex requirements that demand much more floor space. If changes require us to queue, you know we won't.
If you suffer from cosmic vertigo, don't look.

Tank

Quote from: The Magic Pudding.. on September 09, 2023, 02:21:08 PM
Quote from: Tank on September 09, 2023, 08:46:27 AMWhat got me about San Francisco was the proliferation of different loos. Male, female, trans gender, no gender. It would be so much simpler if there were just a set of loos.

Simpler perhaps but much less efficient.
A male with even the merest skerrick of order in their lives will rarely have need of a public shitter, the communal trough will almost always suffice. 
Other genders have more complex requirements that demand much more floor space. If changes require us to queue, you know we won't.

I think that is very true!