News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

What would the world be like without religion?

Started by atheist2308, July 18, 2008, 04:44:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Voter

Quote from: "atheist2308"
Quote from: "afreethinker30"Today only free birth control for all religious folk!
I would think that the birth rate wouldn't be so damned high,but then alot of people wouldn't have died in religious wars so not sure.I do think that people would get along much better,there would be nothing to seperate them on the religious front.But I know people would have to find something to fight over land probley.There would be no hate for atheists  :D  And no fights over creation taught in classrooms.I think children would recieve better education.Maybe someone would have found a cure for fatal dieases like cancer and AIDS.The GLBT comm. would be treated better.Science would probley be very highly taught and thought of.

Exactly! I truely believe that technology, science, medicine and so much more would be so far advanced that it would blow our minds. Some of those people that were killed by religion could have invented thing hundreds (if not thousands) of years before they were invented. Medicine has only been around for, i believe, less then 200 years. You know what they used before that? Praying. And some people still refuse to take medicine, trusting only in praying and god to heal them or someone else. Bullshit! I am dumbfounded by some things people do. Religion is a virus and needs to be eradicated.
Modern medicine is the third leading cause of death in America. And it's as oppressive of competing thought as any religion.
Quote from: "An anonymous atheist poster here"Your world view is your world view. If you keep it to yourself then I don't really care what it is. Trouble is you won't keep it to yourself and that's fine too. But if you won't keep your beliefs to yourself you have no right, no right whatsoever, not to have your world view bashed. You make your wo

atheist2308

Quote from: "Voter"
Quote from: "atheist2308"
Quote from: "afreethinker30"Today only free birth control for all religious folk!
I would think that the birth rate wouldn't be so damned high,but then alot of people wouldn't have died in religious wars so not sure.I do think that people would get along much better,there would be nothing to seperate them on the religious front.But I know people would have to find something to fight over land probley.There would be no hate for atheists  :D  And no fights over creation taught in classrooms.I think children would recieve better education.Maybe someone would have found a cure for fatal dieases like cancer and AIDS.The GLBT comm. would be treated better.Science would probley be very highly taught and thought of.

Exactly! I truly believe that technology, science, medicine and so much more would be so far advanced that it would blow our minds. Some of those people that were killed by religion could have invented thing hundreds (if not thousands) of years before they were invented. Medicine has only been around for, i believe, less then 200 years. You know what they used before that? Praying. And some people still refuse to take medicine, trusting only in praying and god to heal them or someone else. Bullshit! I am dumbfounded by some things people do. Religion is a virus and needs to be eradicated.
Modern medicine is the third leading cause of death in America. And it's as oppressive of competing thought as any religion.

Deaths-Leading Causes

(from the CDC.gov website)

Number of deaths for leading causes of death

1. Heart disease: 652,091

2. Cancer: 559,312

3. Stroke (cardiovascular diseases): 143,579 <---------

4. Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 130,933

5. Accidents (unintentional injuries): 117,809

6. Diabetes: 75,119

7. Alzheimer's disease: 71,599

8. Influenza/Pneumonia: 63,001

9. Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis: 43,901

10. Septicemia: 34,136

I don't see modern medicine anywhere on that list. Next time try to do a little research before you make an ass of your self.
"With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion." - Steven Weinberg

Voter

QuoteI don't see modern medicine anywhere on that list. Next time try to do a little research before you make an ass of your self.
Actually, it's better to do more than just a little research. Check this out.
http://silver.neep.wisc.edu/~lakes/iatrogenic.pdf
The discussion of iatrogenic deaths begins partway into the last paragraph on the first page. Note that the conservative estimate of 225,000 deaths puts iatrogenic causes firmly in third place. Also note that this paper was initially published in the Journal of the American Medical Association.

Next time try doing more than a little research before you make yourself the southern end of a north-bound horse.
Quote from: "An anonymous atheist poster here"Your world view is your world view. If you keep it to yourself then I don't really care what it is. Trouble is you won't keep it to yourself and that's fine too. But if you won't keep your beliefs to yourself you have no right, no right whatsoever, not to have your world view bashed. You make your wo

atheist2308

Quote from: "Voter"
QuoteI don't see modern medicine anywhere on that list. Next time try to do a little research before you make an ass of your self.
Actually, it's better to do more than just a little research. Check this out.
http://silver.neep.wisc.edu/~lakes/iatrogenic.pdf
The discussion of iatrogenic deaths begins partway into the last paragraph on the first page. Note that the conservative estimate of 225,000 deaths puts iatrogenic causes firmly in third place. Also note that this paper was initially published in the Journal of the American Medical Association.

Next time try doing more than a little research before you make yourself the southern end of a north-bound horse.

I know your going to be surprised to hear this but your right, well, we both are really. Your right because you were talking about a different area of the medical field then I was. I also believe that the fault there doesn't have to do much with religion at all. I read the paper where your link took me and I believe that the real fault belongs to the government, drug companies and the lowering of the standers and training.

Here's why I think that.

The government (or anybody else for that matter) have not set up a strong infrastructure, like that paper said.

Drug companies, just like all the other "big businesses", don't really care about the people. All they care about is getting the drug/product on the market fast so they can make billions, all done without a blink of the eye.

And the last one is self explanatory.
"With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion." - Steven Weinberg

afreethinker30

Quote from: "Loffler"
I would think that the birth rate wouldn't be so damned high,but then alot of people wouldn't have died in religious wars so not sure.I do think that people would get along much better,there would be nothing to seperate them on the religious front.But I know people would have to find something to fight over land probley.There would be no hate for atheists  :lol:  I'm glad I already have my boys then.

freeatlast

A world without religion?
I have to say that religion is an oppressive force in the world, however in times past when humans needed to band together over a common cause it has come in handy. Of course it was usually to the ditriment of another people group, but that's an unfortunate by product. Now that major civilizations have become firmly established I think religion can safely be done away with. We no longer need to all believe in the same supernatural fly swatter in the sky to make us behave. Just like many other religions of the past the main religions of today will eventually evolve, blend, or dissolve into time and kids will study them as myths. Bla bla bla . . .
Adios
A man said to the universe: "Sir I exist!" "However," replied the universe,"The fact has not created in me a sense of obligation."
-Stephen Crane