News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

The Right to Life?

Started by MarcusA, July 10, 2023, 07:20:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billy rubin

i dont mind tbe right wing nutjobs. but i get tired of the ones who want their existence to consume my attention.

case in point

the other day a car stopped in traffic in front of mr. in big letters on the back was a sign reading

WHITE CHRISTIAN MALE

HOW ELSE MAY I OFFEND YOU?

point being, offending people who were different was part of tbis guys public identity.

im willing to get along with people, but the ones who take pride in being objectionable are not the ones im interested in accomodating

set the function, not the mechanism.

Recusant

Just being defiant in his victimhood.  :mustache:
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

billy rubin

Dark Lightning

And yet, if we were to put a sign about atheism on our vehicles...talk about offended!

billy rubin

i already have an american gay pride flag on my bumper.

if youre not getting hit by tbe rocks thrown at those you support

then youre not standing close enough

Asmodean

Quote from: billy rubin on August 29, 2023, 05:25:56 PMpoint being, offending people who were different was part of tbis guys public identity.
Is that what you took from it? Fair enough, I suppose.

Quoteim willing to get along with people, but the ones who take pride in being objectionable are not the ones im interested in accomodating
And the example you found was someone taking pride in who he is in spite of how problematic someone might find it, while in the next breath you, and I quote,
Quote from: billy rubin on August 30, 2023, 02:34:36 AMi already have an american gay pride flag on my bumper.
If only there was a word to describe that... Something about hippos or some such...  ;)

Linguistic flair aside, not accusing you of actively and wantonly being a hypocrite - not any more than is "human." However, it is worth pointing out that your pride flag is as much an interpretable statement as "I'm huwhite. How else may I be a problem?"
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

Quote from: billy rubin on August 30, 2023, 02:34:36 AMi already have an american gay pride flag on my bumper.

if youre not getting hit by tbe rocks thrown at those you support

then youre not standing close enough

Can I use the second two lines of that to build a meme?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Asmodean

Would be interested to see which way you go with the meme :smilenod:

Although it must be said that I'm a third-rate meme connaisseur at best. :(

Also,
Quote from: Dark Lightning on August 30, 2023, 01:28:14 AMAnd yet, if we were to put a sign about atheism on our vehicles...talk about offended!
This. Yes, "we" really do should know better. Not in terms of never sticking stuff on "our" bumpers, but rather in how "we" judge others for doing so.

I'll try not to go on a massive rant, but it is fashionable these days to turn loose associations into movements and turn those movements political. And then, when you oppose a movement, you get called out for all sorts of bigotry. I have nothing against <insert thing>-sexuals, as long as their kinks only ever involve consenting adults or inanimate objects, but because I oppose the alphabet soup agenda-pushing, I must be a homophobe. I have nothing against Muslims, but because I oppose any notion that their holy book must be held in higher regard than kindling paper by those who do not follow their faith, I must be an islamophobe. I have nothing against black lives having value, but because I oppose rioting and looting as a means of establishing said value, I must be a racist.

I have nothing against Atheists, and when the tables are turned on me for being one, I do attempt to hold myself to a higher standard than what I described above. You can oppose ideas without drawing front lines... But then, I suppose that requires a more complex approach than what can be comfortably captioned onto a photo of a Shiba.

Meme culture sucks.

The Asmo wanders off, still ranting. He may or may not continue to rant for hours yet. Probably may. But maybe may not. The Asmos are mysterious like that.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

The Magic Pudding..

Quote from: Asmodean on August 30, 2023, 09:52:00 AMMeme culture sucks.

There's no time for paragraphs in the culture wars.

That looks like a Marcusian meme.

It does not!
If you suffer from cosmic vertigo, don't look.

Asmodean

Quote from: The Magic Pudding.. on August 30, 2023, 10:57:20 AMIt does not!
Does, too!  :o

The Pudding hath stared into the abyss, and the abyss staredeth back and its name was Marcus.

:grin:
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

The Magic Pudding..

Quote from: Asmodean on August 30, 2023, 11:24:05 AM
Quote from: The Magic Pudding.. on August 30, 2023, 10:57:20 AMIt does not!
Does, too!  :o

The Pudding hath stared into the abyss, and the abyss staredeth back and its name was Marcus.

:grin:

Hey, there is no comparison tween me and Marcus.
I made myself a big genius badge out of dried pasta and stuff from the recycling bin today.  I'm a practical person. >:(

Asmodean

Ah, but it's as they say, if a meme fits - wear it like a stolen royal hat. :smilenod:
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

The Magic Pudding..

Quote from: Asmodean on August 30, 2023, 12:01:29 PMAh, but it's as they say, if a meme fits - wear it like a stolen royal hat. :smilenod:

You dare risk raising the ire of the Pud, so be it.

The tv series that is so brilliant, no superlative is super enough to describe it, Prime's adaption for TV of Robert Jordan's rather bland and ordinary Wheel of time novels is available Sept 1.

Asmodean

Ah, but is it still there if no-one sees it? Einstein thought it might be - other models of reality are available.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.