News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Political Correctness

Started by MarcusA, June 04, 2023, 06:26:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarcusA

What's so correct about human thinking?
This user has been banned for spamming the forum.

Asmodean

Political correctness is not so much about the thinking, but about lying about your thoughts - or simply never disclosing them - when they deviate from some orthodoxy or from what someone wants to hear.

It's "toweing the line" to make the groundless and the illegitimate appear factual and/or well-supported through the weight of lip service received.

There is another, more "current year" component to it, which has to do with protecting the thin-skinned from ever being offended, although... Yeah, when I say "current year," I suppose I should concede that "of course not" has been the preferred answer to "does this dress make me look fat?" regardless of the actual circumstances probably for as long as there have been dresses.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Recusant

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Asmodean

Asmo no speak. Asmo foreign. :grin:

Asmo also knows better, but does this kind of stuff regardless. Toe vs. tow, owe vs. own (that one begs for misunderstandings) legislation vs litigation, a few others. It's hard being a evil gray God. So many words...
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

No one

It's not clothing that makes one look fat, but vision.

Asmodean

Actually, I'm pretty sure it's the fat what makes an person look fat.  ;D
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

No one

Ask a blind person what fat looks like.

Asmodean

In The Asmo's world, the blind gentleman is not particularly PC, so he'll probably tell you that it looks like you in that dress. :smilenod:
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

billy rubin

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Asmodean

The Asmo looks fat in His ass. :sad sigh:

Ah, the many struggles of being a spherically-shaped being. Not even some really long legs to offset it all. :sadshake:
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Recusant

Quote from: Asmodean on June 06, 2023, 07:55:37 AMAsmo no speak. Asmo foreign. :grin:

Asmo also knows better, but does this kind of stuff regardless. Toe vs. tow, owe vs. own (that one begs for misunderstandings) legislation vs litigation, a few others. It's hard being a evil gray God. So many words...

Indeed--despite that your entries here are nearly impeccable English (some objectionable usage aside  ;) ) and my note was in the way of minor assistance in that regard.

I usually manage to suppress my inner  :pedant:  copy editor but sometimes succumb. Only human, not a god like some.   :grin:
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

MarcusA

Recusant, what about a game of Tug-of-War? In that sport, you tow a line.

MarcusA

Asmo, there is an element of fear to political correctness but self-censorship is self-betrayal.

Recusant

Quote from: MarcusA on June 07, 2023, 07:11:34 PMRecusant, what about a game of Tug-of-War? In that sport, you tow a line.

Yes, and a mule tows a line on a barge.
A tugboat tows a line on a ship.

The idiom "toe the line" has to do with meeting expectation, and has as its possible origin runners in a race stepping to the line to begin the race. "Tow the line," though a common error, is not only incorrect it carries a different (if perhaps adjacent) connotation.

I disagree with your statement regarding self-censorship as well.
— H. L. Mencken

The Magic Pudding.

Quote from: MarcusA on June 07, 2023, 07:18:14 PMAsmo, there is an element of fear to political correctness but self-censorship is self-betrayal.

I don't agree with this.
You can embrace your inner bastard or your inner ...angel.
I posit causing harm is bad, it is good to take reasonable steps to minimise harm.
I don't know everything about everything and everyone, so sometimes it is better to just shut the fek up.
I have biases, I don't accept my life's purpose must be to banish them absolutely, but don't think I should give them free reign either.