News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Does evil exist?

Started by MarcusA, June 03, 2023, 08:17:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarcusA

I think religion is evil, but that's just me.
This user has been banned for spamming the forum.

MarcusA

I think war is evil, but not just me.

No one

Only in the minds of men.

Life is brutal, and it takes no prisoners.

That being said, hoomans can do terrible awful things just because.

The Magic Pudding.

Quote from: No one on June 03, 2023, 09:42:44 AMOnly in the minds of men.

Yes I agree, only in the minds of men.
Those who spout on about evil should be exterminated, it's the only way to be rid of it.

Old Seer

Evil cannot exist without good and are facts of nature. Both are needed for there to be life. Neither can exist without the other.
The only thing possible the world needs saving from are the ones running it.
Oh lord, save us from those wanting to save us.
I'm not a Theist.

The Magic Pudding.

Crapty crap crap.
All weirdoes are welcome here.

No one

Where does evil exist outside of hooman parameters?

billy rubin

nowhere.

good and evil are human interptetations of ibrating molecules and heat flow.

pain and anguish exist, but not good and evil.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

MarcusA

"Ego is not a dirty word."

MarcusA

Bad science is just bad science.

Asmodean

Evil exists in much the same way as rights exist. It's a construct, used to describe something intangible, conceptual in nature.

It is subjective and flawed, yet at the same time useful for its relatability in the sense that if you denounce something as evil, your in-group is likely to view it in a more negative light just because of it.

Why is a serial killer evil, while the Universe is not? Both will kill you most viciously, given half a chance. The latter, however, lacks intent - the rest is a matter of perspective.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

No one

Science is never bad. Just because pathetically ignorant hoomans are frightened by its legitimacy, does not make it any less legitimate.

Asmodean

Quote from: No one on June 14, 2023, 07:42:41 AMScience is never bad. Just because pathetically ignorant hoomans are frightened by its legitimacy, does not make it any less legitimate.
When it becomes political or has a profit motive, it can actually be "bad."

For instance, it is bad science to start with the conclusion and do what must be done to provide sufficient road map for reaching it. The conclusion may or may not be correct, but that is not how the method works. That belongs more in the realm of the proverbial devil quoting the scripture. (e.g. cigarettes don't cause cancer)

Another thing I personally take issue with, and this is largely in the realm of environ-mentalism, though also a little medicine and others, is scientists being unclear in their presentation about the line between the scope of their scientific inquiry and any social oughts and ought nots. I wouldn't call it bad sicence as such, more bad form on the part of individual scientists with an agenda to push rather than a question to answer.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

MarcusA

Not all science is bad. Lysenkoism was just bad science that got a push from Soviet ideologues.