News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

what have you never done?

Started by billy rubin, May 28, 2023, 07:32:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Magic Pudding.

I've never felt myself virtuous for abstaining from popular entertainment.
You have so.
I have not!
How about reality TV in general, Married at First Sight in particular?
Oh come on, not watching that isn't virtuous, surely you'd have to be a lackwit to lap it up.
So you don't elevate yourself, you deprecate reality TV devotees.
Ye sure, that's fair isn't it?

Someone said Shakespeare would be a screenwriter if he was around now.
Was that someone perchance a screenwriter?
Probably.

billy rubin

QuoteSomeone said Shakespeare would be a screenwriter if he was around now.
Probably.

^^^yes.

i dont have much to say about motion pictures, as i seldome see any motion pictures.

i dont have anything to say about television programming, if thats whats its still called, because i havent had a television set in my life for over thirty years.

but people who use a certain type of media always seem to assume that its use is inevitable, like ^^^this with shakespeare.

my kids are high level users of various social media platforms. im not, and they dont expect me to run in those circles. but its deeper than that for me.

like it or not, im a quaker, and silence in my life is important. i cant help it. people who value silence often end up discovering the society of friends, and nobody is surprised when it happens.

i tend to turn things off. sound, images, motion, light, all of it. i turn it off and live in the void.

except for motorcycles. thats different. but maybe not so much? ive remarked before that on the starting line at the land speed races, when the starter waves you on and the runway is clear,

everything. goes. silent.

the world falls away, and i become more alive than at any other time, conscious or unconscious. nothing else is there except me, the motorcycle, and the vanishing point ahead of me. complete focus.

doesnt last long, but its addictive.

i go back to maine in july.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

The Magic Pudding.

I've been undressed by kings
And I've seen some things that a woman ain't s'posed to see
I've been to paradise but I've never been to me

The Magic Pudding.

Quote from: billy rubin on May 31, 2023, 01:25:41 AM
QuoteSomeone said Shakespeare would be a screenwriter if he was around now.
Probably.

^^^yes.

i dont have much to say about motion pictures, as i seldome see any motion pictures.

i dont have anything to say about television programming, if thats whats its still called, because i havent had a television set in my life for over thirty years.

but people who use a certain type of media always seem to assume that its use is inevitable, like ^^^this with shakespeare.

my kids are high level users of various social media platforms. im not, and they dont expect me to run in those circles. but its deeper than that for me.

like it or not, im a quaker, and silence in my life is important. i cant help it. people who value silence often end up discovering the society of friends, and nobody is surprised when it happens.

i tend to turn things off. sound, images, motion, light, all of it. i turn it off and live in the void.

except for motorcycles. thats different. but maybe not so much? ive remarked before that on the starting line at the land speed races, when the starter waves you on and the runway is clear,

everything. goes. silent.

the world falls away, and i become more alive than at any other time, conscious or unconscious. nothing else is there except me, the motorcycle, and the vanishing point ahead of me. complete focus.

doesnt last long, but its addictive.

i go back to maine in july.

People are different.
I like background stuff much of the time, it helps me maintain a broad range shallowness.
I heard about this:

QuoteAphantasia is a phenomenon in which people are unable to visualize imagery. While most people are able to conjure an image of a scene or face in their minds, people with aphantasia cannot.

Imagine that it is a warm summer day and you are sitting on the side of a swimming pool. The sun is shining down and there are children laughing and splashing in the water. What sort of images do you see in your mind as you think about this scene?

Do you think Shakespeare would enjoy Game of Thrones Green?
Maybe if you recast males to play the female parts.

The Magic Pudding.

billy rubin

ive never been undressed by a king. a queen , maybe

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Ecurb Noselrub

Never open-carried, which is legal in the Lone Star State, for reasons beyond me.

MarcusA

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on May 31, 2023, 10:11:10 PMNever open-carried, which is legal in the Lone Star State, for reasons beyond me.

"We come in peace. Shoot to kill."
This user has been banned for spamming the forum.

billy rubin

i carried openly in arizona out in the desert and mountains.

customary there. everybody has a gun.

i dont carry a visible weapon in town. thats asking for trouble.

MarcusA

Quote from: billy rubin on May 31, 2023, 10:59:04 PMi carried openly in arizona out in the desert and mountains.

customary there. everybody has a gun.

i dont carry a visible weapon in town. thats asking for trouble.

You've been around then, billy.

billy rubin

MarcusA

I have never used a gun since mucking up the shooting of a kangaroo. I just riddled it with bullets.

No one

MarcusA

Bluenose

I have never jumped out of a perfectly serviceable aeroplane, or off a high place with a rubber band tied around my legs, nor have I ever hurtled down the side of a mountain at 60 mph with a couple of planks strapped to my feet...
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett