News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

What is history?

Started by MarcusA, May 27, 2023, 10:37:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarcusA

What is history but reasoning over the past.
This user has been banned for spamming the forum.

MarcusA

The one charm of the past is that it is the past. - Oscar Wilde

MarcusA

You cannot judge the past by the present, only refuse to honor and repeat it. - billy rubin

billy rubin

did i say that?

it does make sense, i acknowledge.

i grew up surrounded by racism. i refuse to make it psrt of my world view.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

MarcusA

Religion is not history yet, goddamn it.

Tank

Lots of religions are history. They just keep reinventing themselves like Madonna. As long as there are gullible people and others willing to exploit them there will be faith based belief systems because humans like emotional comfort blankets.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Old Seer

History is the record of the mentality of leaders and it's results.
The only thing possible the world needs saving from are the ones running it.
Oh lord, save us from those wanting to save us.
I'm not a Theist.

billy rubin

a lot of it is certainly no more than that. memorizing ancient politics is what passes for history for lots of people.

but history is also the stories of the development of technology, of the greater understanding of the earth sciences, of biology and mapmaking and food preservation and the invention of the zipper.

im more interested in the deveopment of the steam engine than i am in the affairs of the house of tudor. or windsor.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

No one

HISTORY, n. An account mostly false, of events mostly unimportant, which are brought about by rulers mostly knaves, and soldiers mostly fools.

AB

MarcusA

A proper history of Him hasn't been written.

MarcusA

Jesus the man cannot be separated from the myth.

No one

Have you tried mace and a crowbar?

MarcusA

I could use a hammer, I guess.

Asmodean

Quote from: No one on May 28, 2023, 08:51:15 PMHISTORY, n. An account mostly false, of events mostly unimportant, which are brought about by rulers mostly knaves, and soldiers mostly fools.

AB
Heh. Isn't it though?

The history of wars seems to be far better documented and/or fantasised about than the rest of it. Some rulers have cemented their legacy in eternity, in splendid tombs of tales of conquest and brilliance, one must assume on the backs of their subjects, who did most of the heavy lifting, including the actual planning, building and maintenance of the actual, physical tomb.

I just want to know who came up with a wood turning lathe some millennia ago... On the other hand, that crafty individual still lives on in more than books we read in school - and in more than a name.

What is history, if not an attempt to shape one's own legacy, or uncover one already shaped and pass judgement upon it from the heights of Mount Present? Thing is, it is much more than that - but that sort of history takes work to piece together and is filled with minutia of everyday life. It's not just a tale of the ever-chivalrous knights battling the ever-villainous dragons. It's also a tale of what said knight's servant tossed in the cesspit after a dinner, eaten a thousand years ago.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

MarcusA

History is bunk. - Henry Ford

History is best left in the past.