News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Does religion have any redeeming qualities?

Started by MarcusA, May 27, 2023, 04:54:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icarus

^ another crackpot fanatic with a narrow;y focused vocabulary.

:violin:

Tank

Quote from: Icarus on September 05, 2023, 12:46:06 AM^ another crackpot fanatic with a narrow;y focused vocabulary.

:violin:

It is terrifying the damage religions do to humanity :(
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

billy rubin

i dont think the religion did the damage. i think it is likelier thatwhat have is a nutcase who is using religion to act out the nuttiness.

doesnt change the end product tho.

set the function, not the mechanism.

Asmodean

Quote from: Johan Abrahams on September 04, 2023, 11:03:21 AM
Quote from: Asmodean on May 30, 2023, 02:03:00 PMthough redeeming from what?

From humanity of course.
How does you never getting hit by a falling ladder because of your superstitious concern about being beneath one redeem said superstition from humanity?
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Icarus

^ Does that superstition also exist in Norway?  I imagined that it was only an American thing. We also have bad luck when breaking a mirror, spilling salt, Friday the 13th, black cats to avoid, and more. 

Farting in church is also to be avoided but that is not an outright superstition. At the very least,farts need to be silent ones.

Asmodean

Quote from: Icarus on September 06, 2023, 11:52:05 PM^ Does that superstition also exist in Norway?  I imagined that it was only an American thing. We also have bad luck when breaking a mirror, spilling salt, Friday the 13th, black cats to avoid, and more.
Yes and no. All those superstitions "exist" here, but you will be hard-pressed to find a person willing to admit that they hold them.  I think the mirror one is probably the more common - I don't take any of them seriously though, so limited knowledge.

QuoteFarting in church is also to be avoided but that is not an outright superstition. At the very least,farts need to be silent ones.
:lol: Now this one, I was not previously aware of.

Hmm... Does God poop?
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

The Magic Pudding..

If you suffer from cosmic vertigo, don't look.