News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Does religion have any redeeming qualities?

Started by MarcusA, May 27, 2023, 04:54:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarcusA

I think not, which is not to say that they do not exist. Religion is mere superstition, instead of reason, and suspicion, instead of love, to me.
This user has been banned for spamming the forum.

MarcusA

Is religion just good politics?

If your sole object in life is power, it is.

Asmodean

"Redeeming" qualities assume that religion as a broad concept is in some kind of need of redemption. I would argue that it is not to any degree beyond any other common superstition. From there... If you refuse to walk under ladders, chances are you won't ever have one fall on you. Nor are you likely to stumble on an black cat if you look out for such like in your path. Are those qualities of superstition "redeeming?" Perhaps, though redeeming from what?

Does Christianity have redeeming features? Does Islam? Shinto? Buddhism? Those are some lesser umbrellas which may be answerable. The greater one of "just religion" - less so.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

MarcusA

There is no such thing as a just religion.

billy rubin

quakerism doesnt do half bad.

pretty messed up in some ways, but about the best that there is that i can think of.

course, as an agnostic quaker i dont represent the main theme.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

The Magic Pudding.

QuoteDoes religion have any redeeming qualities?

Of course.

X is bad, he uses it to justify his evil deeds

Y is good, it helps her going through the vicissitudes.

MarcusA

Quote from: billy rubin on May 31, 2023, 01:32:58 AMquakerism doesnt do half bad.

pretty messed up in some ways, but about the best that there is that i can think of.

course, as an agnostic quaker i dont represent the main theme.

If the Quaker believes in pacifism, there's the problem right there.

billy rubin

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

MarcusA

billy rubin

the militarist embraces evil and becomes part of it.

MarcusA

"War is evil, but it is often the lesser evil." - George Orwell

Tell me about the rabbits, George.

(The last line is from Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck.)

billy rubin

MarcusA

Quote from: billy rubin on June 01, 2023, 05:31:44 AMi used to pollinate carrots in salinas.

Shit, where have you not been, billy?

billy rubin

ive never been to oz.

would love to see it

The Magic Pudding.

Quote from: billy rubin on June 01, 2023, 11:38:41 AMive never been to oz.

would love to see it

Unfortunately that isn't possible, we are just a hoax perpetrated by the spherical Earth cabal.
No New Zealand either, there is an Africa and a South America but they are much smaller than shown on maps.