News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

On Buddhism

Started by MarcusA, May 23, 2023, 09:39:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icarus

Cucumbers are a vital ingredient when making Gazpacho. Of course Gazpacho is dish of probable origin with the sheepherders of the Pyrenees. It will fit the rules of Buddha perfectly.

Tomatoes, cucumber, celery, green or red peppers, onion, garlic, oregano, basil, vinegar, olive oil, salt, black pepper, chicken broth. OOPS  maybe the chicken broth is not OK with Buddhists. Very well, then use vegetable broth instead. (Serve cold with croutons or hard bread) Yummy. Keeps for several days in the fridge. Must have cucumbers seeds and all.

Recusant

The cucumber cares not what gullet it passes through.  :levitate:
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

zorkan

Is a cucumber a fruit or vegetable?
How about a sea animal?
Whatever it is, it needs liberating from the cycle of death and rebirth.

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/sea-cucumber-liberation-front-classic-tshirt-for-sale-by-seacucumber--180003317599424324/

"Sea cucumbers are echinoderms—like starfish and sea urchins. There are some 1,250 known species".

Asmodean

Yes. You see? The noble cucumber is the way, the light and the saviour. One should strive to be reborn in its green and elongated form - also good for pickling. :smilenod:
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

I was told a first hand story by an acquaintance a fair while ago. He had gone to Australia on holiday. One trip he did was 'Rock pooling' with a naturalist guide somewhere on the cost. It was a mixed group of locals, European and Asian tourists. There was a Japanese couple in the group they did not speak fluent English. Apparently the tour guide would find things in the rok pools and show them around the group. He found a sea cucumber and the Japanese pair became quite chatty and animated. The guide passed the sea cucumber to them and they promptly started eating it. 
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Asmodean

It does take the Japanese to appreciate the sliminess of the sea pickle. :smilenod:
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

zorkan

I'm surprised and disappointed at the attitude of those Japanese who should know better.
That sea cucumber could have been one of their deceased family members.

Asmodean

As could a octopus, and yet they munch upon those alive and wriggling.

I like a lot of Japanese food. Was actually contemplating a food tourism over that way, but then there was the c00f and currently, them stocks be a-bleedin'.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

zorkan

Do you mean Sushi?
" Wild-caught fish like tuna and salmon are great for you. They're full of omega-3 fatty acids that help protect our hearts and brains, and they're packed with protein. Unfortunately, that's probably not the fish you're getting. More likely you're being fed farmed fish, which are dangerous to your health and full of antibiotics, pesticides and dangerous chemicals. "

Sushi is also packed with bacteria, mercury and excrement from the fish farm.

Asmodean

Not just sushi. I also approve of gyoza dumplings, shabu shabu, a nice bowl of ramen, a few more "esoteric" dishes...

...There is a lot to the Japanese cuisine. :smilenod:

When it comes to what's in it, the squeamish may be best served by not dwelling - whatever it is. I... Just don't care overmuch. A pubic hair in my hot dog is unlikely to give me syphilis.

That said, how on Earth would the author of your unattributed quote have any idea what I am or am not likely to get in my sushi and what standard of safety is being used in its production chain?
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Asmodean

That's Hong Kong - a city in a country I have never even visited. A country which is not Japan. And it talks about iodine contamination rather than where sushi comes from.

I assume you were not answering my question, but have moved on to a completely different matter? I tried looking up the quote online, but all I find are various ""healthy eating"" rags, blogs and forums, which neglect to list sources or measured values or... Pretty-much anything, which leads me to believe that they have gained that information by "reading and believing" something somewhere, possibly disregarding its context.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

zorkan

But the Japanese are buddhists, Hong Kongers are daoists.
Well, sort of. I don't think they know either.
I've never been to Japan but I've spent time in HK SAR.
The fish is fresh in HK. You order it live in a tank, and a few minutes later you are consuming it.

Asmodean

Well... Yeah... Sorta'.

They will sell you a frozen (currently or formerly) fish in Hong Kong, as they will sell you a out-of-the-live-fish-tank fish in Norway. The Japanese though, who are sneaky that way, will sell you sashimi which is actually alive (-ish) at the time of consumption.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

zorkan

That is a truly awful video.
One reason I don't go to the far east any more.
They don't love animals.