News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

On Buddhism

Started by MarcusA, May 23, 2023, 09:39:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarcusA

Buddhism is but dharma and meditation. I hate rules and regulations, pomp and ceremony.
This user has been banned for spamming the forum.

MarcusA

There's no metaphysics in Buddhism. haha

MarcusA

Buddhism is like talking to the sky, absurd.

MarcusA

Buddhism is immaterial. Buddhism doesn't exist, according to Buddhists.

Icarus

Of the variety of religions that one might choose, Buddhism is near the least objectionable.  Buddhists do not trouble themselves with a magic man in the sky.

I have a friend who is Japanese. Ashidasan is a Buddhist.  He is married to a down home type, hard shell, Christian woman. It is surely a miracle that they coexist and have done so for many years. My friend is one of the most polite, considerate, and helpful people that I have ever known. Whether that has anything to do with his Buddhism, is indeterminate.

billy rubin

buddhuists are weird. certainly the theravadans are all explicitly atheist, but thrre are other braches, like the yellow hats.
im not do sure about those

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

MarcusA

Buddhism is a wide topic that should have a narrow focus.

MarcusA

I must practise Buddha patience.

Icarus

Practicing Buddhists contain themselves rather admirably.

Tank

Quote from: MarcusA on August 08, 2023, 12:55:07 AMI must practise Buddha patience.

Try to start with a desire to keep your posting relevant to the subject matter? :)
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

zorkan

Buddhists have to meditate for 16 hours a day to avoid returning as an animal in their next life.
I heard this from a monk at the Forest Centre in England.

Asmodean

...Or don't meditate, return as a cucumber, get eaten in a salad within a couple of months, then re-return as something else again. :smilenod:

There are ways around the consequences of lacking in the enlightenment department, I think.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

zorkan

There were 27 Buddhas that preceded the great Gautama.
It's similar to the number of Christs that preceded the great Jesus.

I don't mind coming back as a pet dog, because they have a good life, but please not as a cucumber.
I'll start meditating, just in case.

This is the place I was referring to. It's a branch of the main Forest Heritage in England (Hertfordshire).
https://foresthermitage.org.uk/#:~:text=Meditation,https%3A%2F%2Fbit.ly%2F3l0NwFT

Asmodean

...And what, may The Asmo inquire, is wrong with the noble cucumber?

Nature's own knobbly dildos :smilenod: ...Also work in that salad.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

zorkan

Cucumbers get eaten and they give me indigestion.
I could end up in the belly of Donald Trump.