News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

What is phenomenology?

Started by MarcusA, May 18, 2023, 08:47:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarcusA

What is phenomenology? Phenomenal - a philosophy of doubt.
This user has been banned for spamming the forum.

Recusant

Have you studied phenomenology? Though I am aware of some basic concepts, I have not.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

MarcusA

I know that phenomenology is materialistic. There is no such thing as a sixth sense in it. It merely states that we are prisoners of our perceptions.

MarcusA

In life, everything is relevant to ourselves.

Icarus

"We are the prisoners of our perceptions"   Did you author that statement or does it belong to another author? whichever, it is a remarkably salient statement that describes the human condition.

The other one that is more familiar is: "perception is reality". One of the unfortunate conditions of our society, and other societies, is that ignorance and inborn biases drive false perceptions.

MarcusA

Quote from: Icarus on May 20, 2023, 12:55:27 AM"We are the prisoners of our perceptions"   Did you author that statement or does it belong to another author? whichever, it is a remarkably salient statement that describes the human condition.

The other one that is more familiar is: "perception is reality". One of the unfortunate conditions of our society, and other societies, is that ignorance and inborn biases drive false perceptions.

The statement "We, prisoners of our perceptions" is my own. A. J. Ayer is probably the best person to answer the question of delusions. He uses wishy-washy language but he is still understandable.

MarcusA

I have been psychotic, while never losing touch with reality. If the Devil appeared before me this minute, I wouldn't try to kill him. It is the hard option but it is the best option. I would just ignore him.

Tank

Quote from: MarcusA on May 26, 2023, 09:41:15 PMI have been psychotic, while never losing touch with reality. If the Devil appeared before me this minute, I wouldn't try to kill him. It is the hard option but it is the best option. I would just ignore him.

I think that if the Devil appeared to you then ignoring him would be the best thing as you can be sure you're hallucinating.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

MarcusA

Quote from: Tank on May 27, 2023, 10:23:37 AM
Quote from: MarcusA on May 26, 2023, 09:41:15 PMI have been psychotic, while never losing touch with reality. If the Devil appeared before me this minute, I wouldn't try to kill him. It is the hard option but it is the best option. I would just ignore him.

I think that if the Devil appeared to you then ignoring him would be the best thing as you can be sure you're hallucinating.

Worse still, I could be mistaking a real person for the Devil.