News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

On Child Indoctrination

Started by MarcusA, May 12, 2023, 09:24:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarcusA

Any kind of conscription is a violation of human rights. That's what I think, what do you think?
This user has been banned for spamming the forum.

Asmodean

One of these questions is not like the other. Still, if I had to answer in a sentence, it would be "it's complicated."

If you just leave a child to his own devices in terms of observing the world the best he can and doing with that the best he can figure out how, he'll probably just die before ever reaching adulthood.

Speaking of conscription specifically, it needs not be a violation of your human rights. You have a right to live - but not to live somewhere nice for free. Service, compulsory or otherwise, especially in times of crisis, can be viewed as you "paying back" to your nation.

I'm being overly-simplistic here for having some time constraints to type out a response right now. May or may not flesh it out later.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

MarcusA

Quote from: Asmodean on May 12, 2023, 10:32:15 AMOne of these questions is not like the other. Still, if I had to answer in a sentence, it would be "it's complicated."

If you just leave a child to his own devices in terms of observing the world the best he can and doing with that the best he can figure out how, he'll probably just die before ever reaching adulthood.

Speaking of conscription specifically, it needs not be a violation of your human rights. You have a right to live - but not to live somewhere nice for free. Service, compulsory or otherwise, especially in times of crisis, can be viewed as you "paying back" to your nation.

I'm being overly-simplistic here for having some time constraints to type out a response right now. May or may not flesh it out later.

Children don't know what heaven is when it is forced down their throats.

Asmodean

That has little to do with conscription though. That implies service of one kind or another. Just believing adults who misinform you does not imply any such thing in itself.

Should you tell a kid that he'll die of cancer if he smokes, even though he could go through his whole life, smoking like there's no tomorrow, and die from faling down the stairs at the ripe old age of ninety-two?

Should you explain to a six year old the exact intentions of that nice, trustworthy-looking gentleman with a white van and a bag of candy?

What do you do when your child is curious about something she lacks the intellectual and/or emotional maturity to comprehend or that you lack the proper knowledge to adequately explain? What if the potential downside of your doing an inadequate job is injury or death?

There are reasons to indoctrinate children in the sense of presenting them with a somewhat-rigid, doctrinal model of reality. (Such as for example "strangers are scary, do not engage with them." It may or may not be true - but there may be reasons to act as though it is.) Valid reasons. The question then becomes whether you strive to keep those doctrines static, or teach the kid to question more and more and make informed decisions down the line, preferably in tow with the increasing mental and emotional capacity.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

MarcusA

The refined man plays chess, this is not the time for a cross-examination. I'll just say that I agree with the Asmo for the most part.

Children weren't born to serve in our wars.

MarcusA

Goddamn, spell check will mean the death of someone sometime.

Asmodean

Quote from: MarcusA on May 12, 2023, 12:45:26 PMGoddamn, spell check will mean the death of someone sometime.
:smilenod: It's the AI. It has a plan, you see. Use the GPS to drive people off piers, then use spell checkers to account for the rest. It's brilliant.

I am no master of spelling OR punctuation, but I tend to turn any such function off. I prefer them to be my words - the proverbial warts and all.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

MarcusA

Quote from: Asmodean on May 12, 2023, 12:53:05 PM
Quote from: MarcusA on May 12, 2023, 12:45:26 PMGoddamn, spell check will mean the death of someone sometime.
:smilenod: It's the AI. It has a plan, you see. Use the GPS to drive people off piers, then use spell checkers to account for the rest. It's brilliant.

I am no master of spelling OR punctuation, but I tend to turn any such function off. I prefer them to be my words - the proverbial warts and all.

Spell check can be useful, but when it changes words that you don't want changing,it can be annoying. I only brought it up because it changed wars into ward at the last moment without me knowing. Luckily, I reread the post after I posted it

MarcusA

I am starting to make mistakes that I can't be bothered correcting. It might be time to try to get some sleep.

Asmodean

Oh, they can be useful, but they - especially the more advanced "language checkers" such as Grammarly - sort-of kill the personal flair. Sure, there are people mostly-incapable of such to begin with and situations in which it doesn't matter, or can even be detrimental, but having finished school, I am now in a position to just write as I do - do some explaining if and when misunderstandings arise. I prefer it this way.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

MarcusA

My grammar is appalling at the best of times, but I know how to speak English, therefore I go with that.

MarcusA

Getting back to the subject at hand, I agree with Rousseau that children should be allowed to be children as much as possible.

MarcusA

O, child, apple of my eye!
How can I bring myself to harm you?

MarcusA

"Rage, rage against the dying of the light," O child.

billy rubin

do not go easy into that dark night.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."