News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Is religion simply a fact of life?

Started by MarcusA, May 08, 2023, 09:48:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarcusA

It certainly seems that religion is here to stay.
This user has been banned for spamming the forum.

No one

It is, in no way, shape, or form a fact of life. It is most certainly a fact of the hooman dynamic.  Hoomans are just a sliver, of fraction, of a speck of life.

Asmodean

I disagree. It has been a prominent fixture in even the more "ideologically Atheist" nations for generations. At some point, which I personally think we are millennia since passed, one should be able to call it "a fact of life." You can avoid it as best you can, or fight against it - it will still out-live you.

Should it be a fact of life? I would argue not. Is it? Yeah, kinda.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

No one

It is a fact of living, not of life. Life, is far more grand than the microscopic hooman.

Asmodean

And yet it's naught but the sum of its parts, among which is religion.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

No one

I'm just guessing here, but there are probably more organisms that don't practice religion, then there are that do.

Asmodean

Space travel is a fact of life, and yet the absolute majority of organisms that ever lived - or possibly, that ever will have lived on Earth will never get above the troposphere.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

There will always be gullible people. There will always be scammers. Thus the future of religions are ensured. The best we can do is limit the impact of these scams on politics and education.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Asmodean

Indeed. That's the strategy with them less-pleasing facts of life; one does one's best to live around them - make them live around you where possible.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

billy rubin

Quote from: No one on May 09, 2023, 11:53:40 AMI'm just guessing here, but there are probably more organisms that don't practice religion, then there are that do.

i wonder about that.

do nematodes think?

is thinking necessary to know god?

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Asmodean

Checkmate, Atheists! Allah is totes real! :smilenod:
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Old Seer

Religions can exist only on ignorance of nature.
The only thing possible the world needs saving from are the ones running it.
Oh lord, save us from those wanting to save us.
I'm not a Theist.

MarcusA

Life is simply not worth living with religion around.
This user has been banned for spamming the forum.

No one

Space travel is a part of the hooman experience. The hooman experience, is not life.

Asmodean

It is a subset of life. A fact of it, if you will.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.