News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Is school any place for faith?

Started by MarcusA, May 04, 2023, 09:57:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarcusA

To me, faith doesn't inquire into the world, therefore it's not cool for school.
This user has been banned for spamming the forum.

Asmodean

I think it depends on where the school in question is, and at which level. Some schools expect the students to listen to their teachers and accept what they say as true - others encourage questioning the narrative in search of deeper understanding.

Basically, if the school is built around the first abovepresented concept, then there must be a place for a degree of faith there. If it is built entirely on the latter - not. Personally, I have not ever been to such a school. (as opposed to higher education institutions) but that is not to say that they cannot exist.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

No one

Faith has a place. In the lands of fairy tales and daydreams.

Icarus

A legislative bill is in progress in Texas, likely to be made into law.  The bill requires that all public school rooms have a wall poster that contains the ten commandments.

Moses broke the damned tablets  :o ,.... therefore I do not know how the commandments can be be written with a reasonable degree of certainty.

If I had a large printing press and some good political connections in Texas, I could make a lot of money by printing posters. 

MarcusA

Quote from: Icarus on May 05, 2023, 09:48:05 PMA legislative bill is in progress in Texas, likely to be made into law.  The bill requires that all public school rooms have a wall poster that contains the ten commandments.

Moses broke the damned tablets  :o ,.... therefore I do not know how the commandments can be be written with a reasonable degree of certainty.

If I had a large printing press and some good political connections in Texas, I could make a lot of money by printing posters. 

The religious turn schools into  mental asylums.
This user has been banned for spamming the forum.