News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Does atheism have anything worth living for?

Started by MarcusA, May 04, 2023, 09:45:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarcusA

The atheist is just a blank space waiting to be filled.
This user has been banned for spamming the forum.

Recusant

Looking to atheism as a source of "worth" seems misguided to me. There are many things in life that make it worthwhile. The atheist has as many options in that realm as anybody else, minus devotion to mythical deities.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

MarcusA

Church bores me, so what do I have? I have a brain.

Asmodean

What Recusant said.

Find something worthwhile, then label yourself by it if you so wish - looking for worth in labels is... A bit backwards.

So, can Atheism add value to your life? Sure. Does it have to define your life? Preferably the opposite.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

No one

William James:
Is life worth living? Depends on the liver.

Asmodean

...Which, in turn, depends on the level of boozing and general carousiness, sooo...

...Is life worth living until the liver is gone, or as if it were already gone?

See, we's getting into some deep philosophizing right here. :smilenod:
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

MarcusA

I think that my liver is my own problem, thanks all.

Prycejosh1987

Blank spaces are meant to be filled with colour and life. Something only faith offers. No faith is saying we have no true purpose and focus in life. Goals are meant to be consistently achievable. Having a family is achievable but stops mental and relationship growth after a certain point of bonding. The process to bonding is consistent and eternal. Spirituality offers a bonding process which promotes consistent growth and personal development.

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Asmodean

Quote from: Prycejosh1987 on August 23, 2023, 07:34:32 PMBlank spaces are meant to be filled with colour and life. Something only faith offers. No faith is saying we have no true purpose and focus in life. Goals are meant to be consistently achievable. Having a family is achievable but stops mental and relationship growth after a certain point of bonding. The process to bonding is consistent and eternal. Spirituality offers a bonding process which promotes consistent growth and personal development.
The Asmo looks at a blank space on this here *point* sheet of paper, grabs a bunch of crayons and starts furiously colouring with His tongue poking out at the "concentration" angle.

Crayons, it turns out, are faith. Or maybe The Asmo is..? :smilenod:

The above is a metaphor, for those who wonder. Emphasises the role of self in filling them blank spaces.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Skeptik

I've been away from the forum for a while so forgive me if I'm commenting on some old posts.

As for the OP, atheists don't believe there's an afterlife.  We believe that everything is in the now.  This life is all there is.

So, we have everything to live for.  We have nothing to die for.
The certainty with which I know another man's religion is folly makes me suspect my own is also - Mark Twain

Dear Religion,
Today we safely brought a man back from outer space, while you shot a child in the face for wanting to go to school.
Sincerely,
Science

Asmodean

Nothing wrong with a speck of constructive necromancy.

I must disagree with you that "we" have nothing to die for - we absolutely may have causes to both live, die and kill for, just like everyone else. Not having one's priorities codified by scripture does not remove the priorities themselves.

For example, many a parent would die for their child if the circumstances so dictated - atheist or no. If the upside of [the action that leads to] you no longer existing is greater than the downside... Therein lies the mental calculus.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

billy rubin

why cant atheists believe in an afterlife?

theres evidence of ghosts, communication with the dead, all that stuff. evidence, but no proof that i know of.

no reason for religion to get involved. maybe we are just an early instar of something else

set the function, not the mechanism.

The Magic Pudding..

Quote from: billy rubin on March 13, 2024, 12:01:06 PMwhy cant atheists believe in an afterlife?

theres evidence of ghosts, communication with the dead, all that stuff. evidence, but no proof that i know of.

no reason for religion to get involved. maybe we are just an early instar of something else

Are you, do you designate yourself as an atheist Billy?
If you suffer from cosmic vertigo, don't look.

The Magic Pudding..

If you suffer from cosmic vertigo, don't look.