News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Is life worth living?

Started by MarcusA, May 04, 2023, 09:08:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarcusA

I am not suicidal. It's just a question. Is life worth living?
This user has been banned for spamming the forum.

Icarus

In most cases, life is certainly worth living. The pleasures and satisfactions that we enjoy are positive.

In other cases, for example a debilitating sickness or injury that that causes great pain, then eating ones shotgun might be a final solution to the problem. Emotional pain, if in the extreme, could cause one to consider ending it all.

The U.S. states of Oregon and Washington permit assisted suicide in certain circumstances

MarcusA

No one

billy rubin

i dont know whether its worth living or not. im living now, but when im dead i wont be.

if i cant tell the difference, is there one?

i expected nothing but im still disappointed

MarcusA

Quote from: billy rubin on May 04, 2023, 11:57:53 PMi dont know whether its worth living or not. im living now, but when im dead i wont be.

if i cant tell the difference, is there one?

The End is the end full stop

Asmodean

Quote from: Icarus on May 04, 2023, 09:30:25 PMIn most cases, life is certainly worth living. The pleasures and satisfactions that we enjoy are positive.

In other cases, for example a debilitating sickness or injury that that causes great pain, then eating ones shotgun might be a final solution to the problem. Emotional pain, if in the extreme, could cause one to consider ending it all.
Pretty much this.

It's not really a question any-one but yourself can answer for you, though whatever your answer is, someone will see to validating it while others will seek to dispute it. Such are the beauties of The Interwebs.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

MarcusA

Quote from: Asmodean on May 05, 2023, 02:32:52 PM
Quote from: Icarus on May 04, 2023, 09:30:25 PMIn most cases, life is certainly worth living. The pleasures and satisfactions that we enjoy are positive.

Pretty much this.

It's not really a question any-one but yourself can answer for you, though whatever your answer is, someone will see to validating it while others will seek to dispute it. Such are the beauties of The Interwebs.

Suicide is no way out. Suicides harm others. On the other hand, voluntary euthanasia is the legitimate right of all individuals to control every aspect of their lives.

Asmodean

Quote from: MarcusA on May 06, 2023, 04:21:31 AMSuicides harm others.
Doesn't have to.

Let us assume that you are a considerate lonely loner on welfare, and commit suicide in such a manner as to avoid traumatising some hapless passer-by for stumbling over your rotting remains, or making a mess for someone to clean up. Who have you harmed by offing yourself?
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

billy rubin

Quote from: MarcusA on May 06, 2023, 04:21:31 AMSuicide is no way out. Suicides harm others. On the other hand, voluntary euthanasia is the legitimate right of all individuals to control every aspect of their lives.

whats the difference?

MarcusA

Quote from: billy rubin on May 08, 2023, 06:23:54 PM
Quote from: MarcusA on May 06, 2023, 04:21:31 AMSuicide is no way out. Suicides harm others. On the other hand, voluntary euthanasia is the legitimate right of all individuals to control every aspect of their lives.

whats the difference?

Suicide is a way of getting back at the world, voluntary euthanasia is not.

billy rubin

i think it can be thst way for some people, but doesnt need to be.

Asmodean

Quote from: MarcusA on May 08, 2023, 09:32:39 PMSuicide is a way of getting back at the world
That appears deeply inaccurate.

A suicide for purely-selfish reasons has little to do with "the world," and "everything" to do with "The I."
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

No one

If someone wants to end their life, that is their prerogative. I do not think it is selfish, it is their life, and nobody else's.

Asmodean

I was thinking more in terms of "selfish" as in "having no regard for people outside oneself in this particular deliberation."

Still, the point is no less valid. If something - life, for example - is yours, you don't need to consider others in deliberations on whether or not to keep it.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.