News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Is history factual?

Started by MarcusA, May 04, 2023, 12:00:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarcusA

In fact, history is the study of dusty old facts.
This user has been banned for spamming the forum.

No one

HISTORY, n. An account mostly false, of events mostly unimportant, which are brought about by rulers mostly knaves, and soldiers mostly fools.

AB

Dark Lightning

My son got the Devil's Dictionary. It's a hilarious read.

MarcusA

Quote from: No one on May 04, 2023, 12:46:06 AMHISTORY, n. An account mostly false, of events mostly unimportant, which are brought about by rulers mostly knaves, and soldiers mostly fools.

AB

There's no doubting that.

Recusant

Quote from: Dark Lightning on May 04, 2023, 01:14:14 AMMy son got the Devil's Dictionary. It's a hilarious read.

Indeed. I came across it at a tender age, and have no doubt that Bierce had a significant influence on my life. Some might say for the worse, though I would deny it.  ;D
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Recusant on May 04, 2023, 03:43:29 AM
Quote from: Dark Lightning on May 04, 2023, 01:14:14 AMMy son got the Devil's Dictionary. It's a hilarious read.

Indeed. I came across it at a tender age, and have no doubt that Bierce had a significant influence on my life. Some might say for the worse, though I would deny it.  ;D

It's that wicked wit that gets the appreciation, yes? MAD Magazine, then National Lampoon, etc.

No one

How "tender" can barbarians be?

Recusant

Children are tender. Not as tender as babies I'll give you that, but with a proper marinade....
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

MarcusA

I believe in being idle, and then getting busy.

MarcusA

billy rubin

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

No one

MarcusA

The reason why facts matter is because facts are better than lies.

billy rubin

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

MarcusA

Why is a lie bad? You figure it out.