News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

What's boring about the world?

Started by MarcusA, May 03, 2023, 03:46:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarcusA

Atheism is really boring. All the interesting stuff is on the other side.
This user has been banned for spamming the forum.

Asmodean

I agree to a point.

Atheism in its mostly-agreed-upon form is the lack of a belief in the divine. It's just... An absence. As such, there is very little to it to be interesting.

Now, religions have their mythologies and literature and music and life philosophies. There is a lot there. A lot of garbage, some would argue, but a lot still.

That being said, however, it doesn't matter, unless you are capable of choosing a world view based on appeal to curiosity. Personally, I simply am not. What I do and do not find interesting has no bearing on what is and is not.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

MarcusA

Religion would be more interesting if it was dead.

Asmodean

As a historical study case..? Mmh... Maybe, in a sense. For instance, I like the Middle Ages. I don't want to live in the Middle Ages, but I like the architecture, the history, mental exercises about how people could or might have lived... Books, documentaries, video games - the works. Were the Middle Ages not "dead," none of that would have existed yet. One would have to live in them "interesting times."
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

MarcusA

History fascinates me, and religion should have been history long ago.

MarcusA

If anything is boring about the world, it is a lack of interest in the common poetry of humankind.

billy rubin

marcus,why are you interested in poetry? it seems to be something you are good at.

set the function, not the mechanism.

MarcusA

Quote from: billy rubin on June 06, 2023, 11:13:49 PMmarcus,why are you interested in poetry? it seems to be something you are good at.

I was speaking figuratively of the common poetry of humankind, as in language, humour, dance and so on. To me, poetry is anything that strikes a pose or sings in harmony.

billy rubin

well thats a better definition than any other ive heard

set the function, not the mechanism.

No one

MarcusA

I'll get on my hog and bore up the road, said the bikie.