News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

What's bad art?

Started by MarcusA, May 02, 2023, 08:49:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarcusA

What's bad art? Anything postmodern. I am postmodern.
This user has been banned for spamming the forum.

No one

Anything I am not in favor of!

MarcusA

Asmodean

Quote from: No one on May 02, 2023, 08:50:45 AMAnything I am not in favor of!
Pretty much this.

Art is very subjective. You don't have to go much beyond music to see it. For instance, I find a lot of Jazz music intrusive and squeaky, but can enjoy and find complexity and beauty in some really growly heavy metal. For someone else, it could be the exact opposite. What does that say about jangly Jazz and growly Metal? Very little, actually. It speaks only to the comparative tastes of the specific listeners.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

MarcusA

Everything is subjective, what's your point? You might be trapped in your own little world, but who cares?

Asmodean

Quote from: MarcusA on May 03, 2023, 12:53:51 AMEverything is subjective, what's your point? You might be trapped in your own little world, but who cares?
Some things are subjective (Do oranges taste good?) while others are not (What is the relationship between a circle's circumference and its diameter?)

As for who cares, I'd say any-one trying to understand another person has to, and "we" tend to do so without thinking. Of course, there are matters where it can be difficult to discern fact from opinion - that is what research is for.

"Everyhing" is only subjective if one is willing to treat Everything (<-notice upper case E) as a subject.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

MarcusA

The postmodern might be bad art, however the past isn't much better.

MarcusA

Quote from: Asmodean on May 03, 2023, 09:08:05 AM
Quote from: MarcusA on May 03, 2023, 12:53:51 AMEverything is subjective, what's your point? You might be trapped in your own little world, but who cares?
Some things are subjective (Do oranges taste good?) while others are not (What is the relationship between a circle's circumference and its diameter?)

As for who cares, I'd say any-one trying to understand another person has to, and "we" tend to do so without thinking. Of course, there are matters where it can be difficult to discern fact from opinion - that is what research is for.

"Everyhing" is only subjective if one is willing to treat Everything (<-notice upper case E) as a subject.

Everything is more than enough for me. I need nothing beyond it.

Asmodean

What is the scope of "everything," with which you operate here?
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

MarcusA

Quote from: Asmodean on May 04, 2023, 08:11:22 AMWhat is the scope of "everything," with which you operate here?

"God is a little more than everything," e.e. cummings

He can have it his way. I'll have it mine.

Asmodean

Which is what, more precisely?
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

MarcusA

Asmodean

Yes, I gathered as much from the Cummings post.

It says only that you exclude God from the scope of everything. Is God the only thing you exclude?
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

MarcusA

Quote from: Asmodean on May 05, 2023, 07:30:20 AMYes, I gathered as much from the Cummings post.

It says only that you exclude God from the scope of everything. Is God the only thing you exclude?

Well, there is Nirvana.

MarcusA

Bad art leads to multiple interpretations, or in actual fact, that is good art.