News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Question about reincarnation

Started by Chimera, July 05, 2008, 10:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcm

Quote from: "Asmodean"
Quote from: "jcm"
Quote from: "myleviathan"How can I live on without the material that makes up my existence?

simple...use the following:

Dare I ask what that cig is made of?  :P )

it is a magic wand...but that will work too.

:crazy: dude, i'm freakin out!!!!
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. -cs

myleviathan

I was walking yesterday and thinking about this thread again. I imagined myself falling dead into the grass. I imagined what's going on at a cellular level, which is where the really exciting stuff happens anyway. I imagined the energy stored in my dead cells reincarnating to the living cells of fly larvae, worms, birds, catepillars, grass, flowers, or any other immediate living thing that could ingest any left-over energy. As far as energy passing on when your dead, it doesn't go very far. But it goes into other living things that can use it to survive. Just an interesting thought.
"On the moon our weekends are so far advanced they encompass the entire week. Jobs have been phased out. We get checks from the government, and we spend it on beer! Mexican beer! That's the cheapest of all beers." --- Ignignokt & Err

Smallville

Quote from: "myleviathan"I was walking yesterday and thinking about this thread again. I imagined myself falling dead into the grass. I imagined what's going on at a cellular level, which is where the really exciting stuff happens anyway. I imagined the energy stored in my dead cells reincarnating to the living cells of fly larvae, worms, birds, catepillars, grass, flowers, or any other immediate living thing that could ingest any left-over energy. As far as energy passing on when your dead, it doesn't go very far. But it goes into other living things that can use it to survive. Just an interesting thought.

Maybe it would help you not to think of it as reincarnation but as food for thought or thought for food.

Energy transduces, or converts, from one form to another (i.e., mechanical to electrical) but not really in the way you mentioned other than your dead cells providing food to other creatures.

(Generally speaking) Reincarnation or metempsychosis is the supposed rebirth of a particular soul in another human body with, possibly, some remainder of the original soul intact but usually unaware of its previous existence.

Transmigration of the soul is another term, but here the spirit could be transferred to other animate beings including animals and insects.

And, of course, as with anything else religious, there are beaucoup rules governing the transfer and the progression or regression of the soul. The intricacy and poetic beauty involved with the classical Hinduism and Buddhism concepts of reincarnation fascinated me for years until they failed the reality test.

The wishful thinking of people who "believe" in reincarnation is the same wishful thinking they have believing anything else in their religions.
Two wrongs don't make a right but three left turns will.

"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." â€" Nietzsche
"Just think of the tragedy of teaching children not to doubt." - Clarence Darrow

myleviathan

Quote from: "Smallville"Maybe it would help you not to think of it as reincarnation but as food for thought or thought for food.

I know it's not reincarnation in it's traditional sense, but if a soul is composed of some form of energy, and it's able to be sent to another physical body, then reincarnation could be compared to what actually happens as energy in it's chemical form (Adenosine tri-phosphate, glucose) is transferred from a dead body to living creatures.  Living creatures feed on the fat, starch, sugars and proteins of a dead body, and the chemical energy stored in those substances is transferred to them. Much like the idea of reincarnation, only it's not a soul that gets transferred to one physical body, but chemical energy to many physical bodies. Just fun to think about, really.

Quote from: "Smallville"Energy transduces, or converts, from one form to another (i.e., mechanical to electrical) but not really in the way you mentioned other than your dead cells providing food to other creatures.

In this case the energy remains in it's chemical form. I know it's not a 'soul', but it's still a fun thought.
"On the moon our weekends are so far advanced they encompass the entire week. Jobs have been phased out. We get checks from the government, and we spend it on beer! Mexican beer! That's the cheapest of all beers." --- Ignignokt & Err

Tanker

QuoteE=MC2(squared) means E = Energy, M = Matter, C = Speed of light(square that)

Which in simple english means Energy and matter are the same thing.

Just wanted to make sure that was clear, thank you for your time

more precisley it states that the closer we come to the speed of light the greater our mass becomes, with greater mass we need equaly greater energy. So if we to go at the speed of light the fastest speed posible our mass would become infinate and we would need infanite energy to go that speed. Making travel at the speed of light esentialy impossible.

Sorry I know that was a little of subject.
"I'd rather die the go to heaven" - William Murderface Murderface  Murderface-

I've been in fox holes, I'm still an atheist -Me-

God is a cake, and we all know what the cake is.

(my spelling, grammer, and punctuation suck, I know, but regardless of how much I read they haven't improved much since grade school. It's actually a bit of a family joke.