News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Bad habits

Started by MarcusA, April 25, 2023, 03:29:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarcusA

In heaven, all the interesting people are missing. - Friedrich Nietzsche
This user has been banned for spamming the forum.

MarcusA

I have a bad habit of swearing in inappropriate places. Christ, I swear like a sailor all the fuckin' time. I try to cut it out around women and children, but who knows where children might be lurking? As for women, equal rights means not being precious.

MarcusA

I am a Smokemon, not exactly cute like Pikachu.

MarcusA

I am a soldier without any luck and a soldier needs luck.

Icarus

Marcus, if it is any consolation, I too am sometimes given over to using words that are not appropriate in church.

On the one hand I believe that the use of profanity is a sign of cultural under developement. On the other hand it is often useful for the purpose of unloading ones frustrations.

MarcusA

Colourful language adds flavour.

Asmodean

For someone who does know how to turn a phrase, I too can be on the crude side of colourful at all the inopportune moments. I'd like to say that there is always a plan behind my using specific language, but while it's generally true, especially in writing, it isn't always so.

I don't necessarily consider it a bad habit - I don't get prudish (not to be confused with pedantic, which I do do) over others' language, so being able to take it, why wouldn't I occasionally dish it out as well?

What I do consider bad habits... Biting fingernails. There were a few "professionals" in my youth who thought this insecurity or that inner whatnot - turns out, I just don't like the feeling of freshly-manicured fingers on pretty-much anything, and avoid it by trimming my nails using my teeth. Go figure. In any case, my nails look a bit worse for wear.

Snus is probably a bad habit too, although provided proper use of garbage bins for the used portions, that one is pretty hard to inflict on others. Is it still a bad habit if it is the habit of one, so to speak?

Slightly-aggressive driving style. While I tend to both have OK situational awareness and control, I can be unnerving to other road users in specific situations. Also, I will remorselessly block access to the driver-side door of a vehicle that takes up more than its parking space in the garage. I don't do it to be an ass to that driver, but to avoid being an ass to a potentially well-parked driver in the spot on the other side of the one I'm squeezing in to. It's not a habit as much as a conscious choice though, so maybe does not belong on this list.

Let's see... What else? Well, I don't really drink alcohol or use narcotics. Oh, I may have a couple of beers in a year and pop an occasional pain killer, but not to such a degree that I think any-one would consider it a bad habit I have.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

MarcusA

I have so many bad habits that I can't list them all.

Tom62

I've got a tendency to procrastinate, be disorganised, don't cleanup my mess all the time and put things away in illogical places. This drives my wife utterly mad.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

MarcusA

Quote from: Tom62 on April 27, 2023, 06:58:03 PMI've got a tendency to procrastinate, be disorganised, don't cleanup my mess all the time and put things away in illogical places. This drives my wife utterly mad.

I tend to be a clean freak. This drives me mad.

Bluenose

Quote from: Tom62 on April 27, 2023, 06:58:03 PMI've got a tendency to procrastinate, be disorganised, don't cleanup my mess all the time and put things away in illogical places. This drives my wife utterly mad.

I tried procrastinating once, but I just couldn't get around to it...
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

Asmodean

Quote from: Bluenose on April 28, 2023, 04:42:13 AMI tried procrastinating once, but I just couldn't get around to it...
Same. The Asmo, He shall get around to it though... But not today. Another day is much better. Yes. A different day. :smilenod:
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.