News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Isn't somebody going to stop me?

Started by MarcusA, April 25, 2023, 03:25:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarcusA

If I don't stop myself, it is because I smoke. We're all going to die but I'm going to die happy.
This user has been banned for spamming the forum.

MarcusA

Asmodean

I used to smoke before. Then one day, I was at a lecture about digitalisation and the lecturer walked up on stage, looked right at me in the first row, pointed his finger and proclaimed, "Digitalise, or DIE!" Having shriveled a bit under the weigjht of that finger, I went "OK!" and bought me a vape kit, because that's totally what he meant. :smilenod:

Since then, I've noticed that the "need" to smoke has disappeared completely, and I don't vape much at all. Oh, I like having it around, but it sees very little use.

Now, Snus (Swedish under-lip tobacco) is a bit of a guiltless pleasure. I like it and am not committed to giving it up at all.

...True story, by the way.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

MarcusA

If I don't stop smoking on my own volition, nobody else will stop me.

Asmodean

...Nor should they, assuming you are what the society considers to be old enough to make his own decisions.

Yes, it's a bad habit, but unless you ask it to, it's not the wider society's to break for you. Of course, there are some caveats, such as in my country, the tax payers would have to pick up the bill, should your bad habits lead to medical complications. Are those tax payers then entitled to a say of some sort? I've had many a political discussion around this very issue. (Not exclusively smoking - also dangerous sports and such like. If I'm paying to patch you up, how much say do I get in letting you do it in the first place?)
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Icarus

Smoking is stupid!  I was a smoker for 65 years and now I am paying the price with a case of emphysema. About seven years ago, one evening I ran out of cigarettes..... about 9 PM.  I could have gone down to the local bodega to get more cigs. I decided not to go, too late. The next morning I was very busy with some chore or other and I did not make the trip buy more cigs. I have not bought tobacco of any kind since. Withdrawal was not easy but I did it.  Sixty five years too late however.

I don't even want to think of all the money I spent for tobacco over all those years.

As for the Asmo, as well as my sainted grandmother, the use of snuff, has a cancer causing effect in ones mouth, tongue, adenoids, etc. Way back in the day, all barber shops and saloons had brass spitoons. Lots of men used either snuff or chewing tobacco. The result of having a "chaw" in ones mouth excited the glands in such a way that it was often a matter of urgency to expectorate.  The spitoons accommodated the need to spit. Some of the men were very good at aiming at the spitoons. Some were not so accurate.

billy rubin

opium dens had spittoons too. i used to have a very nice cuspidor decorated with dragons

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

MarcusA

Asmodean

It can be.

I'm not sure how compelled I personally felt to smoke, as I "just stopped" one day. Never "officially" or rather, consciously quit, but for all intents and purposes, not a smoker today. I think I just used to enjoy smoking, and then, having vaped for a few weeks, come to find the smell of a used ash tray rather on the distasteful side of things. From there, it was just a matter of not receiving the same satisfaction from vaping up to a point where I hardly do that, either. I still do like to have the means on me though. If anything, that is where my compulsion lies.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

No one

Not for nothin', smoking is straight up disgusting.

The Magic Pudding.

Quote from: No one on May 02, 2023, 12:22:24 PMNot for nothin', smoking is straight up disgusting.

Ye but you have to respect their contribution to society, they pay so much tax and they die so quick.

Quote from: MarcusA on April 25, 2023, 03:25:31 AMI'm going to die happy.

Don't know about that, breathless, did the folks thinking up their hells think of putting that in, gasping, aaah aaah aaah aaah ah breath her her her ah ah ah inhale oh, oh, oh, I'm OK now, stick a smoke in the hole in my throat.

QuoteHow Much Do Cigarettes Cost in Australia Now? As of 2022, a pack of cigarettes costs $40 on average. For example, a 25 pack of a leading brand is now $48.95, while a 20 pack is around $35. To put these prices into context, a pack a day smoker (20 pack) would currently spend

Asmodean

That's more expensive than over here, but our packs generally stop at 20. I think there were a couple of "cheap" brands selling 25- and 30-packs for about the price of a premium (more "mainstream," really) 20-pack, but they are about what..? 15-20 upside-down bucks?
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

MarcusA

In Australia, the price of tobacco has risen exponentially in recent years because politicians are hooked on tobacco taxes.

Asmodean

Oh, ours like to tax whatever they deem to be "bad" as well. Smokes, sugary drinks, cars, an income... There's barely any limit to how far down the individual wallet the government's money-sucking proboscis can reach.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

MarcusA

Taxes are the bane of my life, whereas smoking should be.