News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Not quite the heathen

Started by MarcusA, April 24, 2023, 08:46:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarcusA

I have always doubted but I have never quite been a heathen.
This user has been banned for spamming the forum.

No one

Come to the dark side. We have cookies.

MarcusA

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

MarcusA

Asmodean

Asmo. The Asmo. Pleasantries.

I put more stock in scepticism than I do in belief one way or the other. I don't buy any non-vague description of a god as a thing that must - or is even likely to - exist, especially as a god, and find those of more vague variety irrelevant to my existence.

In any case, scepticism can take you far on the intellectual journey that is life, I think. Doubt is good. Well, unless you are a soldier, whose is but to do and die, or a child faced with the dilemma of crossing the road in front of a speeding lorry or not.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

MarcusA

I believe that scepticism is healthy in small doses. One must believe in something other than ourselves, anything other than religion. For me, it is humanism that helps me to stay grounded.

It is not doubt but certainty that  drives you mad. - Friedrich Nietzsche

MarcusA

Madness is hell.

MarcusA

I am not a teacher but a heathen, parodying Robert Frost.

Asmodean

Quote from: MarcusA on April 24, 2023, 05:52:14 PMIt is not doubt but certainty that  drives you mad. - Friedrich Nietzsche
The gloriously-mustachioed one was onto something there. The question, I think, is how you approach said certainty. If the hardest, most brittle model of reality you apply is subject to change, then it's probably not too bad. If, however, your world is contingent on thing being just-so... Yeah. With the advent of a conflicting reality - or just a better model, it may be subject to... Madness.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

MarcusA

Quote from: Asmodean on April 26, 2023, 07:38:50 AM
Quote from: MarcusA on April 24, 2023, 05:52:14 PMIt is not doubt but certainty that  drives you mad. - Friedrich Nietzsche
The gloriously-mustachioed one was onto something there. The question, I think, is how you approach said certainty. If the hardest, most brittle model of reality you apply is subject to change, then it's probably not too bad. If, however, your world is contingent on thing being just-so... Yeah. With the advent of a conflicting reality - or just a better model, it may be subject to... Madness.

Madness is a whole other world.

Asmodean

Not at all. It's just a persistently-poor model of the world or approach to it.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

MarcusA

Quote from: Asmodean on April 28, 2023, 07:46:34 AMNot at all. It's just a persistently-poor model of the world or approach to it.

I think that it is just the luck of the draw.

No one

The world is just fine. It's the hooman infestation that's the issue.

Asmodean

Quote from: No one on April 29, 2023, 12:41:23 PMThe world is just fine. It's the hooman infestation that's the issue.

:sadnod: The Asmo spent one and a half hour to travel five kilometers by car this morning. He blames humans.

...Come to think of it, He ought to SMITE some, is what He ought to do. :smilenod:
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.