News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

On the Noble Lie

Started by MarcusA, April 24, 2023, 07:08:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarcusA

Jesus is a myth, and myths just never die - believe it or not.

And, believe it or not, this is a haiku. Some things just stick around in the head and rattle around a bit. haha
This user has been banned for spamming the forum.

Asmodean

Myths may not die often. Jes... There we go again. An -us word. Jesuses? Jesi? I vote for Jesi.

In any case, myth or no, Jesi are as finite as the rest of us, sooo... It's after Easter. Jesus is dead.

:smilenod:
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

MarcusA

If God is dead, why are the religious still living?

Asmodean

In that sort of sense, one could say that children have absolutely no obligation to die with their parents, no?
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

MarcusA

Quote from: Asmodean on April 26, 2023, 08:00:19 AMIn that sort of sense, one could say that children have absolutely no obligation to die with their parents, no?

When children die before their parents, that is the tragedy.

Asmodean

Indeed. Even with the oft-brutal history of humankind, much of it being quite deadly in far too many ways, our very language has evolved to reflect the proper passage of generations. When you have lost both parents, you are an orphan. What are you when you have lost your children?
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

MarcusA

A lie is a lie, no matter its value.

Asmodean

That's a bit of a useless statement. a is a no matter its property b. So what?

That said, a lie is not a lie beyond the broadest sense of being knowingly untrue/designed to deceive; there are different kinds of lies, which may or may not serve their individual purposes, and the former may or may not serve them well.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

Quote from: MarcusA on April 28, 2023, 10:51:55 AMA lie is a lie, no matter its value.

You're obviously not married :rofl:
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Asmodean

In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

MarcusA

To me, fiction is a lie but not all lies are bad. But taking into consideration that the Bible is a work of fiction, who knows? Fiction might just be bad to imagine.

Asmodean

...So you see, a lie is not a lie, is not a lie.

Not unless you think that a firts-degree approximation is enough for a workable model of human interaction, which... Personally, I very much do not think that.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

MarcusA

All I know is that I will die one day. On that day, I will have just one lie to worry about.

Recusant

What lie would that be?
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

MarcusA