News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

On liberty: losses and gains

Started by MarcusA, April 24, 2023, 06:25:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarcusA

Quote from: Asmodean on April 25, 2023, 11:25:59 AM
Quote from: MarcusA on April 24, 2023, 09:59:27 PMMan simply is. - Jean-Paul Sartre

God bless that Catholic bastard.
Yeah, I miss the days when some things could "just be."

It's a rhetorical lament - there have not been such days in my memory. Take the abovementioned man as an example. Religions have all sorts of more-or-less divine reasons for that man to be. Biology has them bees and them flowers. Also sex. Hot and steamy sex. Still, one seldom gets the answer as to why a man is. Personally, I think it's an invalid question. "What is the cause of a man?" Why assumes motives that may or may not have been there to begin with and may or may not have persisted, changed or unchanged, until the moment of asking.

Why am I who I am? The cause and effect seems to me to be choice.
This user has been banned for spamming the forum.

Asmodean

It's an equation with far too many variables to handle. Yes, a lot of it is your choices, and those of others, reflected upon you in different ways.

In a deterministic universe, you are as you are because "the first proto-matter did thus," and the rest is the distribution of energy. Assuming a model more workable from the perspective of a human life, the "larger" you is the sum of every choice, event and interaction that led to your life and those that affected its course.

This answer is not to The Big Why, however. It answers a question of lesser scope; "How did I become who and what I am today," vs. "Why do I exist?" The more honest answers to the latter are... Less-than-satisfying. Perhaps the least satisfying is "You are." There is no why, really.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

MarcusA

Quote from: Asmodean on April 25, 2023, 02:04:28 PMIt's an equation with far too many variables to handle. Yes, a lot of it is your choices, and those of others, reflected upon you in different ways.

In a deterministic universe, you are as you are because "the first proto-matter did thus," and the rest is the distribution of energy. Assuming a model more workable from the perspective of a human life, the "larger" you is the sum of every choice, event and interaction that led to your life and those that affected its course.

This answer is not to The Big Why, however. It answers a question of lesser scope; "How did I become who and what I am today," vs. "Why do I exist?" The more honest answers to the latter are... Less-than-satisfying. Perhaps the least satisfying is "You are." There is no why, really.

All variables direct our choices, but in the end, reason rules.

Asmodean

In so far as it is the method used to put at least some such variables into an understandable model.

If anything can be said to "really" rule... I propose entropy. On the scale of human life and the cosmic scale alike.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

MarcusA

Quote from: Asmodean on April 26, 2023, 07:56:38 AMIn so far as it is the method used to put at least some such variables into an understandable model.

If anything can be said to "really" rule... I propose entropy. On the scale of human life and the cosmic scale alike.

Death is not the last thing to consider here.

MarcusA

How are we to live? One's freedom is another's prison.

No one

Death is usually the last thing anyone does.

MarcusA

We must live in the knowledge that we will die one day but we must not let it worry us into regretting being born.

No one

Being born, makes me regret being born.

MarcusA

Quote from: No one on April 28, 2023, 10:31:19 PMBeing born, makes me regret being born.

Well, you have to be alive to regret anything.

No one

Ain't that a shame, you have to experience life, to realize just how fucking awful it is

MarcusA

Quote from: No one on April 28, 2023, 11:14:59 PMAin't that a shame, you have to experience life, to realize just how fucking awful it is

It's better than not having existed at all.

No one

MarcusA

No one

Mushrooms.

Plus, all that baby blood has made me immortal.