News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

where do you live?

Started by billy rubin, April 16, 2023, 06:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarcusA

Quote from: billy rubin on April 24, 2023, 11:45:24 PMor youre a buddhist, perhaps

Buddhism is but dharma and meditation. I hate rules and regulations, pomp and ceremony.
This user has been banned for spamming the forum.

MarcusA

Buddha laughed when he was explaining metaphysics and was laughed at by one man in a hall full of monks. He named that man his successor.

MarcusA

I live on my own in an one bedroom unit which is nothing much to laugh at. Charles Darwin visited King George Sound and loathed the place, but I'll forgive him as it had been a long voyage.

Icarus

Quote from: billy rubin on April 24, 2023, 02:38:21 PMthat boondocks thing has been a lifelong plan for me, icarus. ive lived in big cities and they have nothing to offer me that can rival the boondocks.

sure, theres no indian restaurant within 75 miles, no access to public transportation

sunday i had to get up at 0200 and drive 3 hours to pick up my wife at the nearest train station

but nobody is interested in living out here for the most part. so i have peace and quiet, except for deer hunters and occasional oil field traffic.

where else can you take a walk for an hour from your front door and come back without seeing anybody else?

not in noo york citty fer sure

There is something to be said in favor of your chosen lifestyle. In my case, I have become disenchanted by the tremendous growth of my former Shang ri la, a small town that had all one would want or need. It has now become hugely overdeveloped and traffic snarled and far far less Shang ri la like. In some cases "progress and growth" sucks.

At this point in life I cannot muster the courage to get away from the madness of the chamber of commerce perception of "progress".

When I was about six years old, I lived in a tiny little town in Georgia called Cuthbert.  It is still a small little town in the middle of nowhere. For an unexplained reason I still have a desire to visit there where my father had a machine shop that catered to the timber trade thereabouts. That was 1936.  I fell off my bicycle while returning from school one day. I broke my upper leg. I wont forget that body cast that I had to live in for about eight weeks. Somehow the local country doctor treated me with whatever skill and care that he could muster. It worked.

One of the things that I have found that people do not believe is this; In first grade I was required to memorize the multiplication tables from two to twelve. I was also encouraged to learn to factor as an essential part of multiplication and division. I did and so did the rest of the six year olds. Who would think that a backwoods little community, in backwoods Georgia,only a few miles from Alabama, would demand such academic achievement from little kids? As I recall, there was not much if any opposition from parents who might have thought that the kids were being forced to think beyond their capacity.

With the best of my recall, the people were not overly religious. Go figure.

There is something to be said for living in the boondocks Billy. I have been there and done that. a long long time ago.

MarcusA

Between life and death, I would choose life every time.

Asmodean

Then, of course, once you are dead, there is no capacity to choose, so those who choose death thereby make the last choice they ever will. Hm... Imagine that...
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

billy rubin

icarus, you should look at some of the curricula the horse and buggy  amish around here provide for their kids. they all quit at the 8th grade, but their math and reading is way above public school of that level.

science, not so much.

set the function, not the mechanism.

Icarus

MarcusA

Tank

Quote from: MarcusA on April 28, 2023, 02:58:20 AM
Quote from: Icarus on April 28, 2023, 01:56:32 AMhttps://imgur.com/gallery/tLmMvO5

This could be where the Asmo lives.

Asmo lives wherever he damn well pleases.

Except Luxembourg. They have history.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Asmodean

Also, Smart cars. The horror!

That said, The Asmo is a city-The Asmo. While His place is at the end of a fjord, it's surrounded by processed stone rather than natural.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

The Magic Pudding.

Quote from: MarcusA on April 25, 2023, 05:50:48 AMI live on my own in an one bedroom unit which is nothing much to laugh at. Charles Darwin visited King George Sound and loathed the place, but I'll forgive him as it had been a long voyage.

That sounds like an interesting place, as long as the fish don't get too bitey.

billy rubin

thats my house there towards the right. it was the last house on the road for about a hundred years after the blacksmith closed up and the mill fell apart, but then a neighbor pulled a single wide in about a mile down and lives there part time

set the function, not the mechanism.

Icarus

Wow! That is pretty place Billy. Maybe not so convenient when covered with snow. One of the notable positives is that there will be little or no industrial air pollution in such a place.

Tank

It looks like a remote farm from The Walking Dead!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.