News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

what is it thread

Started by billy rubin, April 02, 2023, 05:42:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billy rubin

i know what this is. take a shot at it.

three feet long.

one metre for you francophiles

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Tank

A piece of agricultural equipment?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

billy rubin

wrong! but for the right reasons. big pieces of cast iron are typical of agricultural stuff.

ill take a little more time and then fess up. like all this stuff, it will be obvious in context.

but its one of those things you dont typically run across.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

billy rubin

and in the meantime, whats this?

you old farts should recognize this right away

Dark Lightning

Quote from: billy rubin on April 02, 2023, 10:26:00 PMand in the meantime, whats this?

you old farts should recognize this right away

Yup. A dual-point distributor. Is it off one of your beezers?

billy rubin

no, you got it right, but that one is off a 1972 triumph 650 bonneville.

you win the old fart award for this piece, and i am not surprised it was you.

what about that first one, though?

Tank

Quote from: billy rubin on April 02, 2023, 05:42:32 PMi know what this is. take a shot at it.

three feet long.

one metre for you francophiles

Part of a lorry/rig?

Did you find it or buy it or steal it?
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

No one

It is the tooth piece, and/or grill, to the iron giant.

billy rubin

its a very old re-railer, or whatever you call the device for putting a derailed railcar back on the track. sitting by the tracks at a fertilizer place i go to.

hard to see without actulally walking around it, but its a double-ended ramp that sits on top of the rail ahead of the wheel. when you pull the train forward, the wheel rim is captured by the ramp and is lifted up and over the rail. then.it drops into.place.

i assume theyre used in pairs but there was only one here. there are vastly more modern ways of doing it now, i think. this piece is pretty old

Tank

jumbojak

I was thinking cow pusher but knew that was wrong.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

billy rubin

right industry tho

im in the middle of the american rust belt, lots of old rolling mills and foundries and such.

stuff like that lies around until someone scraps it

Anne D.

Both of those are lovely pieces of found art. Duh.

Bluenose

Well, I must admit that my first thought was something to do with the railway.  I was pleasantly surprised when I scrolled down to find out what it was and that I was not entirely wrong.  Yay me!   8)
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

hermes2015

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames