News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Finland joins NATO

Started by Tank, April 04, 2023, 01:01:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Finland joins NATO

This one addition doubles the NATO border with Russia. Sweden intends to follow but Turkey has been blocking their entry because there have been incidents of anti-Muslim protests in Sweden, in particular examples of Koran burning.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

The Magic Pudding.

Quote from: Tank on April 04, 2023, 01:01:06 PMFinland joins NATO

This one addition doubles the NATO border with Russia. Sweden intends to follow but Turkey has been blocking their entry because there have been incidents of anti-Muslim protests in Sweden, in particular examples of Koran burning.

If my country was part of Nato I'd be annoyed by a country imposing their dubious religion/values in this way.

Dark Lightning

The only reason Turkey is in NATO is because of its location relative to other countries in the ME.

No one

Let's hope this will finally finish all the war talk.

Recusant

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Tank

It also turns out that Turkey wants Sweden to extradite some Turkish citizens that they consider terrorists. And they may have legitimate cause to call these people terrorists. The Swed's appear to be amenable to carrying out a full investigation but want Turkey to de-link the NATO entry from the extradition and it appears this is making headway.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Recusant

Turkey stands with a boot on the necks of the Kurds and yalps in outrage when the Kurds stick knives in their foot. So it goes.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

billy rubin

turkey is a nato member mostly due to the bosphorus, imo. theve been leveraging that advantage for some time

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Asmodean

Both Turkey and Greece are NATO members for broadly the same historical reason - guarding some waters, thereby preventing the spread of Communism.

If they were not, however, I suspect they would have ended up in possibly more than one war in the time since the formation of the alliance. That's one war/series of wars that I think NATO prevented successfully.

Personally, I'd rather have Sweden in NATO than Turkey, but then Sweden is just over yonder *points,* so I am geographically biased there. It's also worth noting that Sweden has land borders with friendly Finland and Norway, both NATO members, both countries that I'm almost completely certain would actively help defend her somewhat more vulnerable coast if attacked - regardless of Sweden's NATO status.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.