News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

The Hamburg shooting

Started by Asmodean, March 10, 2023, 06:37:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asmodean

Yesterday (March, 9th) there was a mass shooting at a Jehovah's Witnesses hall in Hamburg.

As of this time, seven people are dead, probably including the attacker, and up to 25 injured.

Source in English: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-64910415
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

Now if they'd just opened the door! Sorry, too soon?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

No one

Asmodean

Quote from: Tank on March 10, 2023, 09:13:57 AMNow if they'd just opened the door! Sorry, too soon?
...Or have they indeed knocked on the wrong one one time too many? ;D

The Asmo. He can too soon too. :smilenod:
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

It looks like he was an ex member of the church with a grudge.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dark Lightning

Given the way they are shunned when exiting that cult, I'm not surprised. That doesn't condone killing, though.

Icarus

The JWs used to visit my door two or three times a year. I treated them decently while telling them that I am a committed heathen who does not believe in Myths. We did not argue boisterously and the Nice old ladies (why were they always female?) would leave some Watchtower literature for my edification. These encounters were always on my front porch. I am a nice guy but will not invite the JWs inside.   

The last ones that showed up were very young women, nicely dressed and soft spoken. One of them was drop dead beautiful, perhaps 19 or 20 years old. My dirty old man part was hard to keep at bay. She was gorgeous, but I was respectful. I did understand that she and her companions were doing what they truly believed was their responsibility.

This being semi tropical territory I have wasps or hornets who like to build nests under the soffit part of my roof overhang.  They have never been aggressive in the past, so I do not frequently bother to spray them with hornet killer stuff.

While I was talking,to the young women, a mean ass hornet, without provocation, flew down and stung the pretty one on the cheek. Why? ....I have no idea. It was painful and she was in distress.  I told her to wait for a minute, in pain,  and that I would go to my kitchen to prepare a poultice of bicarbonate of soda and a bit of moisture. Best I could do. I did not have an Epi pen.   The poor girl was in tears from pain and I truly felt some compassion for her.  The soda was helpful but did not make the pain go away.

At this time several years have gone by and no other JW or any other churchy person has pressed the button that actuates my door bell. Is that some kind of Omen? Will Jehovah smite me because I failed to protect one of his/her/its own?.