News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Have You Begun To Fester And Rot Yet?

Started by The Magic Pudding., February 17, 2023, 08:09:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icarus

The religious right does not follow the instructions that are listed in their book in which they so fervently believe. Or maybe they do not follow the instructions because they have not actually read their book.

The instructions include the demand for loving thy neighbor. The book is not entirely clear about damning anyone who is a democrat or anyone who adheres to the Jewish faith or anyone whose skin is dark. Sure enough the right wing Christians do discriminate against those who are not like them. Skin is dark?? One must wonder about the complexion of their much worshiped savior.

Tom62

I regard the woke business more as a mental illness.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Asmodean

Quote from: Tom62 on April 27, 2023, 04:52:34 AMI regard the woke business more as a mental illness.
Perhaps more of a mass-hysteria sort of situation.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

MarcusA

As far as I can discern, Woke started as a positive term, now it's derogatory.
This user has been banned for spamming the forum.

Asmodean

Mmh... Nah... Well, the people who initially applied it to themselves tended to do so in a positive way - still do, in fact, but from the outside of that particular bubble of circular oppression, it was "always" a derogatory term.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

MarcusA

MarcusA

MarcusA

I am a zombie apocalypse but not as zombie as Rob Zombie.

Recusant

Foolish Americans.  ::)  The title is misleading, of course. Yes, a majority of Americans have a more or less positive association with the word. On the other hand a plurality of Americans consider it most often used as an insult.

In any case it is a poll, and there is evidence indicating that at least in the US, the left is more willing to participate in polls than the right. So nothing like a final arbiter of opinion, more a windvane which may give unreliable information.

"Majority of Americans actually view the word 'woke' as a positive" | indy100

Quote"Woke" has been a term at the centre of political debate in recent years - and now a new poll shows what Americans think about the word.

The USA Today-Ipsos poll released on Wednesday shows most Americans have a positive association with the word, with 56 per cent believing it to have positive connotations as they understand it to mean "to be informed, educated on, and aware of social injustices."

Though some divide still remains. 36 per cent of Americans have a negative association with "woke" as they understood it to mean "to be overly politically correct and police others' words."

There is also division over whether being described as "woke" is an insult as 40 per cent believe it to be, while 32 per cent see it as a compliment instead.

The right often use "woke" negatively in political debate, and this is reflected in the poll where a majority of Republicans (60 percent) consider the word to be an insult, compared to nearly half of Democrats (46 per cent) who take it as a compliment when asked how they would respond if someone called them "woke."

[Continues . . .]
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Recusant

As for the etymology, it goes back to at least the first few decades of the 20th century in black slang. Meaning originally, in unvarnished language, to not forget you live in a racist society--to tread with open eyes. It evolved over the years to something closer to the idea in the article above, "to be informed, educated on, and aware of social injustices." 

Once it got into the mainstream/white media it almost immediately was adopted by those of anti-SJW persuasion as a pejorative.

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Asmodean

Quote from: Recusant on June 11, 2023, 03:26:15 AMOnce it got into the mainstream/white media it almost immediately was adopted by those of anti-SJW persuasion as a pejorative.
Yes, but.

"We" don't consume "Huwhite Media" when it relates to the "culture war," except to point and laugh at the talking heads. In my memory, it happened when the SJWs, rather than embrace that term, went for/switched to "woke" in stead. "We" were happy to call that steamy pile of ideological bullshit by what name its adherents called it, so in that sense, it absolutely is accurate that it was adopted very quickly, if from different sources than those the race baiters would point to.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Recusant

Rather, "social justice warrior" while previously existing as neutral or positive, was adopted as a snarl word by those opposed to socially progressive ideas (feminism, gay and transgender rights, etc.) on Twitter around 2011, but really came into its own in the Gamergate hijinks.  "Woke" followed a similar route.
— H. L. Mencken

Asmodean

Indeed, that is closer to the reality I, for one, inhabit.

I do take issue with "us," specifically me, opposing another citizen's rights though. (As in, any right that we both have, but I somehow begrudge them) I have never in my adult life done so. I oppose special rights for me that another citizen does not have, and as a direct consequence, oppose special rights for another citizen, that I do not have. Children and people incapable of making life decisions due to disability excluded.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

MarcusA

I treat the unequal unequally well because it is just.

Recusant

Quote from: Asmodean on June 12, 2023, 03:36:29 PMIndeed, that is closer to the reality I, for one, inhabit.

I do take issue with "us," specifically me, opposing another citizen's rights though. (As in, any right that we both have, but I somehow begrudge them) I have never in my adult life done so. I oppose special rights for me that another citizen does not have, and as a direct consequence, oppose special rights for another citizen, that I do not have. Children and people incapable of making life decisions due to disability excluded.

As I see it you rightfully choose to view your alignment with the true believers as loose. Perhaps more opposed to some of the same things rather than actually aligned. Nonetheless, those are their positions and they aren't shy about it.
— H. L. Mencken