News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

All The New Nazis

Started by The Magic Pudding., July 04, 2023, 02:35:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asmodean

I'm sure you don't need a college degree to have specific complaints which are addressed by populist politicians?

For example, what is Huwhite(tm) about wanting stable employment? What's Straight(tm) aboiut wanting to prioritise domestic spending? What's uneducated about wanting to lower taxes? What is radical about looking for a cause larger than yourself?

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there are people exactly like you describe, but in its capacity of a broad generalisation, it reads exactly the same to me as religious fundamentalists ranting about how them godless Atheists want to live in sin and are afraid to accept Jesus. Yeah... No. Even if true in a few cases, it's largely beside the point - even in those very cases.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

billy rubin

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Asmodean

Indeed, it need not be. You can just-like something - or go along with it because you just-dislike the alternatives. Still, when it comes to politics, people do tend to have some specific complaints they want to see addressed. For some, it may even be the preservation of Huwhiteness(tm) which, by the way... What an American thing to invent, and even then...

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

billy rubin

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Asmodean

Why is that unbelievable? Where I sit, those who care seem to largely lean towards the whole Trump legal bullshit being a political affair, not unlike the Laptopgate or the Emailgate, and even if it were not, that does not seem to affect eligibility;

QuoteNo Person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President; neither shall any Person be eligible to that Office who shall not have attained to the Age of thirty five Years, and been fourteen Years a Resident within the United States.

As far as what I, at least, perceive as something of a hyperbolic statement about the murder from my normal-and-well-adjusted bubble, upon cursory examination it seems like Americans are perfectly free to elect a convicted mass murderer to the Oval Office if they so choose.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Recusant

Meh, from where I sit the former president appears to have violated the same statutes that regular citizens definitely go to prison for.  Don't prosecute him because he's a politician, and some partisans and disinterested parties consider the prosecution "political"?

Quote[Robert] Birchum, who was an Air Force lieutenant colonel with a decorated 29-year military career, pleaded guilty in February to one count of violating the willful retention of national defense information provision after investigators discovered during the first month of the Trump presidency in 2017 that Birchum had stored more than 300 classified documents or files in his home, a storage pod on his property and his officer's quarters overseas. Birchum was not charged with spying or giving the documents to anyone, and he cooperated with investigators and conveyed remorse – but a Trump-appointed judge sentenced him this month to 3 years in prison.

[Et cetera]
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken